PDA

View Full Version : Manual update VS integrated update

andrea2054
2006-08-14, 11:37
I want to upgrade my Spybot S&D 1.4 manually, so I downloaded the latest detection update (2006-08-11) and applied it. Then I run the integrated update function and the same detection update appears in the list. I'm not sure, but I've seen this behaviour before. The manual update works correctly? It does inform Spybot that the detection rules are updated? Or Spybot does not notice that the rules are already up-to-date?

Thanks

md usa spybot fan
2006-08-14, 14:32
The record of updates using the integrated update facility are recorded in the following file:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates\downloaded.ini Manual changes to Spybot's files are not reflected in the downloaded.ini file and therefore do not influence the list of updates presented when you do a "Search for Updates" using the integrated update facility.

andrea2054
2006-08-14, 15:01
So this behaviour is correct?

md usa spybot fan
2006-08-14, 18:28
So this behaviour is correct?
Not in my opinion. I personally believe that the manual changes made to the Spybot's database, including using the manually downloaded "Detection updates", should be recognized by the integrated update facility.

If you are asking if your observation is correct that updating Spybot using the manually downloaded "Detection updates" does not remove those same updates from the integrated update facility, the answer is Yes.

andrea2054
2006-08-15, 08:50
Not in my opinion. I personally believe that the manual changes made to the Spybot's database, including using the manually downloaded "Detection updates", should be recognized by the integrated update facility.

It's my opionion too.

If you are asking if your observation is correct that updating Spybot using the manually downloaded "Detection updates" does not remove those same updates from the integrated update facility, the answer is Yes.

So this behaviour is a bug? Is possible to fix it in a future release?

Thanks

bitman
2006-08-16, 01:38
I don't think you can call it a bug, it's more like a programming oversight, since no attempt to update this information via the Manual update was ever made that I've seen.

Since the Manual update is nothing but a self extracting set of packed files containing only the current week's Definition files, it has none of the abilities included in the Integrated updates. This makes the Manual update simple to perform and less likely to fail.

Whether this was really the plan or simply never got any attention isn't clear, but at this point, it's one of the least important things waiting to be fixed. If you can't get the Integrated updates working for some reason, I'd just get used to the fact that the internal tracking in Spybot doesn't reflect manual updates.

Bitman

andrea2054
2006-08-16, 12:42
It's not very important. I have to keep some computers up-to-date and for me it's easier and quicker to download all the updates (operating system, antivirus and Spybot) and then apply them manually and offline. Some computers are connected to the net with a slow dial-up 56K modem line, so the integrated update works, but it isn't very pratical.

Thanks