PDA

View Full Version : A virus that just won't quit

yellowspoon
2012-06-27, 01:36
Spybot running standalone under XP finds four virus: BurstMedia; DoubleClick; MexiaPlex; Right_Media. I get rid of the viruses. I rerun SpyBot, and the same four viruses are still there. I delete, reboot, and rerun SpyBot. Still there. I run Spybot standalone (from the bootable disk I purchased). Still there when I restart XP.

With nothing running, the CPU is about 20% busy. When I run FireFox, about 10% of my web browsers are redirected.

If I can find that XP diskette, I'm about to reformat everything.

tashi
2012-06-27, 03:48
Hello yellowspoon,

When I run FireFox, about 10% of my web browsers are redirected.

To clarify, your browser is re-directed?

Still there when I restart XP.

Which version of XP and service pack is installed and what other security programs beside Spybot-S&D? :)

Best regards,

yellowspoon
2012-06-28, 17:11
It's an oldie - XP version 2002 w/ sevice pak 3 installed.

I tried Malwarebytes (which found a few more virus), but it didn't find this particular virus, even when run in safe mode

tashi
2012-06-28, 17:34
Hello yellowspoon,

The programs you listed are not actual anti-virus programs. :) Do you have a anti-virus program installed?

It's an oldie - XP version 2002 w/ sevice pak 3 installed.

XP Home Edition?

Best regards,

yellowspoon
2012-07-18, 19:18
Hello yellowspoon,

The programs you listed are not actual anti-virus programs. :) Do you have a anti-virus program installed?

XP Home Edition?

Best regards,

No virus programs installed. Yes, XP home edition.

tashi
2012-07-18, 19:31
Hello yellowspoon,

It's been awhile since I posted. ;) If the issues remain someone could take a look at the system if you start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22)

See that forum's FAQ which also includes instructions in post #2 on how to provide DDS logs, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.
"BEFORE You POST"(Please read this Procedure Before Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

First, is there a reason you do not have an anti-virus program installed?

Best regards.