PDA

View Full Version : Smitfraud-c. Logs unavailable

scheva
2012-07-03, 02:39
Hello all,

My name is Stefani. I am fixing a friend's computer, and upon running Spybot S & D one file cannot be removed. It is Smitfraud-c.

Spybot suggests running itself on startup because the file is in use. Upon running in startup, after scan, the end result is still the same.

I am unable to start in safe mode (XP-SP3) via using F8. It just starts windows normally. Partially loading windows, then turning off the computer brings up the prompt to start in safe mode, however on this screen for some reason, the cursors are not responsive, and I am not able to scroll to start in safe mode.

The computer will not respond to a request to enter the recovery option (and I'm sure this problem has been there long enough that recovery wouldn't do much anyway...we're talking possibly years of infection.)

I've attempted to download the DDS log tool, and upon clicking to install, the computer restarted itself, without installing. I've run into this a few times previously while attempting scans, or installation of Spybot, Ad-aware, and Avast.

From all the searching I've done on the web in general it appears at this point, my only recourse is to ask for help on a forum. Seeing as how I've been using Spybot, and seeing that many other users have been helped with the same file, I thought my best option would be here.

Please keep in mind, while I have over 20 years computer experience, I've never run into a problem that required a forum post. I am inexperienced in posting logs and whatnot (that aren't a simple copy/paste of hijackthis), so please be patient with my idiocy in this regard.

I greatly thank you for your time, and appreciate your prompt reply.
-Stefani-

Blade81
2012-07-11, 12:07
Hi,

Please download and run this (http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/Beta/dds.exe). Check "attach.txt" and let the other settings be as default and run. Post back the logs it creates.

Blade81
2012-07-18, 23:10
Due to inactivity, this thread will now be closed.

Note:If it has been three days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh DDS log and a link to your previous thread. Please do not add any logs that might have been requested in the closed topic, you would be starting fresh.

If it has been less than three days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or other MOD a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.