PDA

View Full Version : Fraud.Facebook.Messanger

lionb
2012-07-09, 16:09
Why only Spybot detected this Trojan? I removed this parasite using Spybot. However, and in couple days I got it again.

tashi
2012-07-09, 16:30
Hello lionb,

Please open Spybot Search & Destroy > Help > About and let us know the version and date of last definitions.

Also the operating system and other security programs installed. :)

Best regards.

lionb
2012-07-10, 01:38
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.2.46

Latest detection update 7/4/2012

McAfee Security Center, MalwareBytes - Anty-Malware

tashi
2012-07-10, 02:31
Hello lionb,

Also the operating system

;) and how is the computer running in general.

lionb
2012-07-10, 14:33
So far so good. But I did not get answer on my major question. Why only Spybot detected Fraud.Facebook.Messenger Trojan? I searched Google and figured out that other people had the same problem and the same question. Does it mean that Spybot mistreated some legitimate software? I do not believe that other antivirus software missed this problem. No one of them even mentioned that problem.

spybotsandra
2012-07-10, 15:51
Hello,

Fraud.Facebook.Messenger is a fake messenger for the social network Facebook.
It installs itself to the computer pretending to be a messenger for Facebook.
It compromises the system security and is likely to steal Facebook login information.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Saalis
2012-07-10, 17:22
Hi!

I was wondering about this Fraud.Facebook.Messenger. I have downloaded and installed this from Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/about/messenger). I've using it for a while and yesterday I ran Spybot and it said I had fraud facebook messenger. I deleted like 90 entries but it couldn't delete all. Then of course Facebook Messenger stopped working and I have to boot and delete remaining pieces what Spybot couldn't fix right away.

I tried again download from the same Facebook page and installed that messenger. It still says that it is fraud. So Facebook is distributing fraud Facebook Messenger? That is odd. This can't be false positive?

Screenshot Fraud.Facebook.Messenger (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2733044/fraud.facebook.messenger.png)

tashi
2012-07-10, 17:38
Hello,

Why only Spybot detected Fraud.Facebook.Messenger Trojan?

So Facebook is distributing fraud Facebook Messenger? That is odd. This can't be false positive?

Hello,

It compromises the system security and is likely to steal Facebook login information.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot
For those wondering if they have received a false positive: How to report Possible False Positives (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=19117)

Best regards,

Yodama
2012-07-11, 09:53
Actually Facebook is doing a lot of fraud.
But we will look into this and compare the messengers and see if there is reason to modify our detection in regards of a false positive.

Yodama
2012-07-11, 15:15
The results of the analysis are as follows:
Messenger really belongs to Facebook and it is not a Trojan horse.
Therefore we will change our categoration of the Facebook Messenger from Trojan to PUPS for possibly unpopuplar software because of the following reasons:

does not check OS version (installs on unsupported OS)
does not show EULA and Privacy
uninstall leaves one of the 3 FacebookUpdate.exe with its autorun function intact
FacebookUpdate.exe and its autorun delete themselves after running in background for a while
uninstall opens a facebook site which can only be viewed if logged in

cabrote
2012-07-14, 17:02
Are you kidding us? Now it is not a Troyan Horse? Why S&D said it was one and uninstalled it when actually it isnīt one?

Please be carefur next time with false positives!

tashi
2012-07-14, 17:34
Hello cabrote,

The results of the analysis are as follows:
Messenger really belongs to Facebook and it is not a Trojan horse.
Therefore we will change our categoration of the Facebook Messenger from Trojan to PUPS for possibly unpopuplar software because of the following reasons:

does not check OS version (installs on unsupported OS)
does not show EULA and Privacy
uninstall leaves one of the 3 FacebookUpdate.exe with its autorun function intact
FacebookUpdate.exe and its autorun delete themselves after running in background for a while
uninstall opens a facebook site which can only be viewed if logged in

Are you kidding us? Now it is not a Troyan Horse? Why S&D said it was one and uninstalled it when actually it isnīt one?

Please be carefur next time with false positives!

No matter how careful a false positive is not totally avoidable. Most security software sites have a place to report, such as the one here:
How to report Possible False Positives (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=19117)

Best regards. :)

mbc33
2012-07-26, 13:31
Hello! I ran just a routine Spybot scan yesterday on my Windows 7 premium PC and it found ~20 entries for Facebook.messenger that, as far as I remember, included some registry enteries. I allowed Spybot to remove them all and everything seemed fine. I left my computer and it automatically went into hibernate and when I started it back up again I was no longer able to open any .exe files or open any folders.

The computer will restart and boot properly and not throw up any errors but all my files have now been replaced with the "blank page" icon that means Windows does not know how to open them. Do you have any kind of fix for this/has this happened to anyone before?

I'm away from that PC at the moment and I can't remember the exact errors but when trying to open .exe files it will just say "no such interface supported".

cootmaster
2013-05-14, 09:32
hi im using the facebook messenger too FROM thier site
i got pupsc and all stuff listed above
is that desktop messenger FAKE?
i got 27 facebook.fraud messenges and pupsc
or is it ok

or pull it all out for safety

Hello,

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

SERIOUSLY
so i should get rid of it?
AND ITS THIER SOFTWARE ISNT IT?
ASAP

bbnetwork
2013-05-14, 14:39
hi im using the facebook messenger too FROM thier site
i got pupsc and all stuff listed above
is that desktop messenger FAKE?
i got 27 facebook.fraud messenges and pupsc
or is it ok

or pull it all out for safety

SERIOUSLY
so i should get rid of it?
AND ITS THIER SOFTWARE ISNT IT?
ASAP

See tashis post!

cootmaster
2013-05-14, 16:07
WOW surprising
you think it was ligit being
THIER softwae
OUT IT GOES

http://download.cnet.com/Facebook-Desktop/3000-12941_4-75570419.html?tag=mncol%3B2

i switched to this
safer
ty

bbnetwork
2013-05-15, 13:09
http://download.cnet.com/Facebook-

you think it was ligit being THIER softwae

as you can see into the URL, you are downloading from a third-party (download.cnet.com) and not from offically facebook (facebook.com).
I always recommend to download only from official websites.

cootmaster
2013-05-15, 18:00
yup one i changed to @desktop is cnet AND PARENT site ty
btw how u know i was jewish

ההדס ודניאל הם עכשיו חברים:bigthumb:

DL com
Tucows
softpedia
are all hosting sites
people host tons software all time
i work for frostwire and we host at dl/cnet all time
ACTUALLY we AWAYS say go to frostwire.com then press DOWNLOAD then it starts i think its hosing it somewhere

then dl starts
but yup thx for help

Spyuser
2013-05-28, 06:28
Facebook Messenger is not a threat. It is a legitimate software downloaded from the official Facebook website. It works fine and does not represent any malware-related problems. Dozens of antivirus and antimalware/antyspyware programs recognize it as legit and do not regard it as a threat. Only Spybot team remains very stubborn and keeps labeling it as PUPS (at first they even identified it as a Trojan). Just get it over with and remove it from your database. Until then - you can put Facebook Messenger in the Ignore Product list and will not see again dozens of those useless entries warning about it.