PDA

View Full Version : Sbybot not functioning the same after re-install

DJ Damo
2012-08-18, 21:47
The other day upon startup SS&D wouldn't start up. It said something about a missing file, I don't recall what it was and it said to re-install to fix it.

So I reinstalled SS&D. Now when I look at the SS&D icon in the lower right taskbar the window that pops up when I hover over it is displaying less info. It only says
Spybot-SD Resident
198158 processes blacklisted
283740 known ratings available

It used to have additional lines that listed protection status, I think there was 3 of them.

Also SS&D no longer scans .exes files before they run.

It seems to me that I'm no longer getting the active protection that I was getting before. Is there something I haven't configured that I need to?
Is it because I haven't made a system whitelist, since this wasn't during a fresh system re-install?

DJ Damo
2012-08-19, 01:36
I've checked show info balloons and it's saying down in a balloon in the corner that new processes are being scanned.

But before an actual window would open and it would say specifically what file was being scanned. Can it still be set up like that?

Zenobia
2012-08-19, 02:02
When you re-installed Spybot,did you download it?
Due to the additional lines showing in the window when you hover your mouse over the teatimer icon,and teatimer scanning .exe files,it sounds to me like you may have had an older version of Spybot installed before,and when you re-installed a newer version may have replaced the old one.Teatimer doesn't popup in newer versions of Spybot unless it's in paranoid mode,since the newer version uses a whitelist.

Zenobia
2012-08-19, 06:04
Sorry,meant to say teatimer doesn't pop-up as much in newer versions of Spybot unless it's in paranoid mode,since the newer version uses a whitelist.

DJ Damo
2012-08-19, 19:40
Yes I did download it. So that is likely that its a newer version I guess. However I am using it in paranoid mode although I didn't used to. And I'm still not getting pop up windows telling me what .exe file is being scanned. To get that functionality do I have to go back to using an older version? And if I do have to use an older version, what is the newest older version that works the way that I want? I'm not comforted by SD&D scanning things invisibly in the background. What I liked about it was that it would let me know whenever an executable started, and I knew and got to watch that .exe get scanned every time before it ran. Now it seems that .exes start running while they're still being scanned, if they're even being scanned at all, cause I don't know anymore. I miss the micromanagement and the feeling of having a better handle on my security.

Zenobia
2012-08-22, 04:16
Well,prior versions of Spybot's teatimer used to pop-up and ask to Allow or Deny a decision much more than it does now,but I don't recall that it used to scan every .exe file when it was opened,and I don't remember being able to set it up that way,either.It has been awhile,though,so it's possible there's something I've forgotten about.
I do know that in some prior versions of Spybot,there used to be a single file scanner,but you had to rightclick a file and choose to "scan using Spybot Search & Destroy",which produced a window somewhat like this:
http://www.safer-networking.org/images/spybotsd/fileproperties3.png
Some people at the time were having a problem with the single file scanner running when they left-clicked a file,and it wasn't intended to do that.
When Spybot scanned .exe files,were you seeing a similar window to the one I linked to above?