PDA

View Full Version : Spybot x Internet Explorer installation

jonnexport
2012-08-22, 17:17
Hi, folks. Sorry by my English. That's my problem:
My computer system is a XP-2003-Service Pack 3 - Internet Explorer 8. I had a problem with malware my computer. I did download Spybot and - supposelly - it was removed. However, after that, I couldn't access internet thru IE8. Plus, several task wasn't able anymore. For example: going to the "Start", left side of the two existing columns (I have in there at the left column the icons to Internet Explorer, Firefox, Adobe Reader, and others Microsoft Office programs listed on and, to the right side, I have My Documents, My Pictures, My Computer Control Panel, Help, Search, Run and few more icons). To the left icon, if I clicking mouse left button at IE, for example, nothing happen. Than if I clicking with the right button and then "Open" it browse me to the page but doesn't connect (it keeps working but doesn't go into). However, the full icons at the right side works normally (clicking with the left side of the mouse. Note: I did check the Mouse configuration and it is OK).
So, I decided to uninstall the IE8 and re-install it. I have right now the IE6 (supposelly when I uninstalled the IE8 it backs me to the last version I had before installing the IE8).
Here is the conclusion: IE8 is running the installation and the first task is "downloading the updates to Windows Explorer 8". It is downloading for more than 48 hours !!!! and still downloading. In a first moment I though there was some problem and then I did re-start it but it follows the same.
I can browse any website using Firefox and/or Chrome. Can it be a Spybot problem?
I appreciate for your help with this. Thanks.

tashi
2012-08-23, 02:12
Hello jonnexport,

So, I decided to uninstall the IE8 and re-install it. I have right now the IE6 (supposelly when I uninstalled the IE8 it backs me to the last version I had before installing the IE8).
Here is the conclusion: IE8 is running the installation and the first task is "downloading the updates to Windows Explorer 8". It is downloading for more than 48 hours !!!! and still downloading. In a first moment I though there was some problem and then I did re-start it but it follows the same.

You are trying to upgrade Internet Explorer from version 6 to 8?

Did you reboot the computer after uninstalling IE8?

Best regards, :)

jonnexport
2012-08-23, 22:40
Yes, I do. When I uninstalled the IE8 automatically it become IE6.
Yes, I reboot the computer after that.

tashi
2012-08-23, 23:01
Hello jonnexport,

Have you checked Windows Updates from your computer to see if IE8 will download and install.

As so,
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Update-Internet-Explorer

Do you receive a message telling you that important updates are available, or that optional updates are available?

Best regards.

jonnexport
2012-08-23, 23:43
Thats is my problem, Tashi. The system was working for more than 48 hours downloading Updates. I though it was impossible. Do you believe that the Internet Explorer Updates are big enough for more than two days to be downloaded?

tashi
2012-08-23, 23:53
Hi there,

Thats is my problem, Tashi. The system was working for more than 48 hours downloading Updates. I though it was impossible. Do you believe that the Internet Explorer Updates are big enough for more than two days to be downloaded?
I wanted to make sure you were following the procedure at Microsoft to update IE. :)

48 hours is not normal. :spider: Are you able to install Windows Security patches without issue?

My computer system is a XP-2003-Service Pack 3
2003 Windows Server or XP?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/which-version-of-the-windows-operating-system-am-i-running

Best regards.

jonnexport
2012-08-25, 03:19
Tashi, is Windows XP - 2003 - Pack 3
Something unusual is happening. I restart the computer and it start to make Automatic Updates. This is what says:
"The Updates are being installed.
Instalation Status:
Initializing installation... done!
Installing Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2596615) (update 1 of 3)... failed!
Installing Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2596856) (update 2 of 3)... failed!
Installing Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (update 3 of 3)...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Almost 24 hours running and still installing Internet Explorer 8
Thanks.

tashi
2012-08-25, 04:43
Hello jonnexport,

Tashi, is Windows XP - 2003 - Pack 3

Where is the 2003 number coming from?

Please go to the link previously provided and let us know which Windows version is reported as installed, thanks. :)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/which-version-of-the-windows-operating-system-am-i-running

Something unusual is happening. I restart the computer and it start to make Automatic Updates. This is what says:
"The Updates are being installed.
Instalation Status:
Initializing installation... done!
Installing Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2596615) (update 1 of 3)... failed!
Installing Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2596856) (update 2 of 3)... failed!
Installing Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (update 3 of 3)...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Almost 24 hours running and still installing Internet Explorer 8
Thanks.

Microsoft Answers forum has topics regarding such KB problems.

Example (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/various-windows-updates-errors-related-to-ms/ed01c415-daad-41e0-9675-32c2d7685a1c)

Once you have provided the information requested I may direct you to a Tech forum for help with Windows issues or the malware removal forum. :)

Best regards.