PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Spybot error in Windows log

bloomcounty
2012-08-29, 18:24
Hi,

Stats:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Spybot 1.6.2 (not fully immunized -- just what shows up on its own)
I use Firefox and not IE.

I am getting this semi-frequent error in my Windows logs:

Log Name: Application
Source: SideBySide
Date: 8/27/2012 2:29:06 PM
Event ID: 63
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: *********
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files (x86)\spybot - search & destroy\DelZip179.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files (x86)\spybot - search & destroy\DelZip179.dll" on line 8. The value "*" of attribute "language" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.

And this is happening when Spybot isn't even open.

What does this error mean, and why is it occurring even when Spybot is not running or even open?

Thanks for the help!

Zenobia
2012-09-01, 01:20
I believe you can send an email to get a new delzip file.Please see the first two posts here. :)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=61466

bloomcounty
2012-09-01, 03:07
I believe you can send an email to get a new delzip file.Please see the first two posts here. :)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=61466

Thanks for the reply! I actually saw that thread (and another two just like it) in the meantime, but none of them actually answer why this is happening. Why is it corrupted? And why are so many people having this error? I actually uninstalled and reinstalled with a fresh download from the Safer-Networking mirror, but still get the error, which implies it's corrupted from the get-go. Why isn't there an official fix for this? And why is there no official response to the issue?

And it makes me a bit nervous to email someone and get a file to put on my computer. :) Also, I'm not sure that email address is still valid, as the Spybot website seems to have been completely redone recently and I see no mention of that email address on there, just a form to fill in.

Is it possible Spybot S&D relies on MS Virtual C++ or some version of .NET Framework above Version 3? I've removed all C++ and .NET frameworks from my add/remove programs.

FYI, I am running Windows 7 x64 Premium.

Zenobia
2012-09-01, 09:19
Why is it corrupted? And why are so many people having this error? I actually uninstalled and reinstalled with a fresh download from the Safer-Networking mirror, but still get the error, which implies it's corrupted from the get-go. Why isn't there an official fix for this? And why is there no official response to the issue?
I don't know.Some guesses on it are:1.Some people might actually have a corrupted or missing DelZip179.dll.
2.On Technet it just basically says the cause of Event ID 63 SideBySide is an error in the manifest or policy file.This can be caused by not having the appropriate Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package installed for this application to function properly. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3573.event-id-63-sidebyside.aspx
3.Looking at an old Delphizip website,one of the later DelZip179 builds says below it "without manifest - needed for Windows 7",though I have an older version than that of DelZip179 listed in my Spybot folder,on a Windows 7 64-bit system,and I can't find any Event Id 63 errors in my Event Viewer,so seems like that's not it.
But all I can really do is speculate,because I don't know the answer. :)

I can understand being a little nervous about emailing someone to get a new file.That probably is the best way to fix it,though.
I never thought of whether the email address is still valid or not....tell you what,you could try the email,and if that is returned to sender,maybe try the form.Tell whoever answers I told you to,and include a link to this thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=66622
That way,if it's wrong they can come give me merry ole heck,and you'll be in the clear. :D: (Just kidding,it'll probably be fine.)

bloomcounty
2012-09-01, 18:53
Then my guess would be I'm missing the appropriate Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package, since I removed any I had in Add/Remove programs, thinking they were programming programs I didn't use. So:

1. How do I find out what the appropriate one is for Spybot S&D?

2. And, this part kind of got lost in the shuffle, but... Why is Spybot trying to do anything on its own to create these SideBySide errors even when the program isn't open/running? That seems kind of weird, right?

Thanks for helping and responding -- it's appreciated!

Zenobia
2012-09-02, 01:06
1. How do I find out what the appropriate one is for Spybot S&D?
I don't know.I have several Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages installed on my own computer,the latest one being Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.30319.
However,DelZip179.dll is listed as an older version of the .dll on the old Delphizip website.
But then,I'm not sure that applies according to this,though I'm not too sure I follow and understand it completely: :spider:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 and 2008 employ SxS with all C runtime libraries. However, runtime libraries in Visual C++ 2010 no longer use this technology; instead, they include the version number of a DLL in its file name, which means that different versions of one DLL will technically be completely different DLLs now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side-by-side_assembly

2. And, this part kind of got lost in the shuffle, but... Why is Spybot trying to do anything on its own to create these SideBySide errors even when the program isn't open/running? That seems kind of weird, right?
That,I'm not sure on,either.DelZip179.dll is related to the zip files Spybot uses,but why SideBySide is reporting in EventViewer about it when Spybot is closed,I don't know. :)

bloomcounty
2012-09-04, 07:21
I don't know.I have several Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages installed on my own computer,the latest one being Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.30319.
However,DelZip179.dll is listed as an older version of the .dll on the old Delphizip website.
But then,I'm not sure that applies according to this,though I'm not too sure I follow and understand it completely: :spider:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side-by-side_assembly

That,I'm not sure on,either.DelZip179.dll is related to the zip files Spybot uses,but why SideBySide is reporting in EventViewer about it when Spybot is closed,I don't know. :)

I was told that if the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package didn't get installed when I reinstalled Spybot, then it doesn't need it. Hmmm....

As far as that getting reported when Spybot is closed, who could tell my the answer? That does seem really weird!

Thanks again!

Zenobia
2012-09-05, 07:27
You're welcome.Wish I could have been more helpful. :)