PDA

View Full Version : Spybot & Spy Sweeper

benic
2006-08-16, 20:52
When I click Immunize ,after downloading new definitions in Spybot , Spy Sweeper gives the following alert:
"Spy Sweeper has detected that C:\PROGRAMS FILES\SPYBOT-SEARCH & DESTROY\SPYBOTSD.EXE is attempting to change your Internet Explorer Security settings for this web site:
www dot findthewebsiteyouneed dot com
IF you do not recognise the name of the program we recommand blocking the change."

So, I block .

I addressed the "problem" in different forums and nobody who has both softwares has encountered this situation.

I installed a new Spybot and reinstalled Spy Sweeper and the same thing happens.

Now, I found your forum.

Is this a false positive?

Thank you

benic

md usa spybot fan
2006-08-16, 21:38
benic:

Although I do not remember the issue being raised in the last month or so, I assume that the same situation prevails were Webroot’s Spy Sweeper is falsely identifying part of Spybot’s immunization as a threat. See the following thread:
Full immunization
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1932Both of the following sites are placed in the restricted zone of Internet Explorer during Spybot's immunization:
*.findthewebsiteyouneed.com
www dot findthewebsiteyouneed dot com

benic
2006-08-17, 01:59
I followed the advice from the thread you sent me to; the advice is: "Spybot S&D conflicts with Spysweeper ;it is necessary to uncheck the Internet Security Shield under the list of Internet Explorer Shields under the Summary of Shields Tab"
That is what I did and when I immunized, I now have 11843 bad products blocked ; so this time it added 87 more bad products.
Before,I did not have full immunization .
This time, SpySweeper did not intervene with an alert message.

Thank you md usa spybot fan

benic

Yodama
2006-08-17, 08:51
Attention!!
do not click the link to the malwarewebsite linked above, i.e. xxx.findthewebsiteyouneed.com (disabled)

it is a Hijackerwebsite, which can hijack your browser by just browsing there.

will pm Admin and posters to disable the link.

please always keep in mind to disable possible malicious links, someone may go there with an unprotected browser.

scottls
2007-06-19, 21:05
:eek:I am a software tech- MOST anti-malware/firewall... sites will tell you this!
You activated Spybot's Immunize... and SSP TRIED to warn you, but you defeated it by de-activating their IE shield!-
BAD IDEA!- SSP has 3 times the definitions of spybot, and will block MANY more malware sites! SSP's active protection... is MUCH HIGHER RATED! :bigthumb:

I STRONGLY recommend that you disable SpyBot's active protection! Open a support ticket at SSP, if you don't beleive me!

You may have to uninstall Spybot/restart & reinstall (no immunize...!)! Use it for on-demand scans ONLY!
Then Reactivate SSP's IE shield (SSP's memory shield is a RESOURCE HOG, and Favorites shield is a PAIN!)!
:bigthumb:
P.S. You might want to look into The excellent/highly rated, FREE Comodo 2-way firewall!- download file, disable internet THEN disable XP... firewall/restart, install/restart, and ENJOY!

rinfrance
2007-07-03, 04:52
Reading this thread MAY resolve my question on 3B and others, am I right in saying then that what you mean is that basically spybot has more limitations than spysweeper which I pay for and run, hence the reason that spybot jumps on certain things that Spysweeper and 3B do not as they interogate them more fully.

Yodama
2007-07-03, 08:20
There is no perfect protection software, and there will never be. That is something that a user always has to remember. A combination of know how and a variation of tools would be best for safer computing. It is always a little hard to say which software is better or not, and it may also depend on what you actually want to use it for.
Personally I do not use Spy Sweeper and thus cannot tell what kind of advantages it may have over Spybot S&D, if it works fine for you , you should use it. If you use multile security software on one computer you should only have one active security task running in background.

But you should be carefull about 3B Software. 3B Software is known for its bad advertising behaviour, also take a look for 3B Software here http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

earl_fong
2008-01-30, 00:46
I run both Spybot S&D 1.4 as well as Webroot SpySweeper 4.5.

In order to use Spybot to add IE immunizations, I just temporarily turn off SpySweeper's IE Security Shield, click on Spybot's Immunize button, then turn on the IE Security Shield again. Seems to work fine.

Elidon
2008-02-09, 21:54
I just updated to Spybot S&D 1.5.2 and now I am getting one alert after another from Webroot SpySweeper 5.3.1 telling me that: "The Internet Communication Shield has blocked access to: ..." and then it lists the blocked site.

These alerts have been popping up about every 30 seconds for over an hour, always with a different blocked site listed. I never received these alerts from Webroot until I updated the new Spybot.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Incidentally, immunization on Spybot seems to work fine even with the Webroot IE shields on.

Thanks!

AnimeFollower
2008-02-13, 21:01
What is happening to Elidon is happening to me.

I have the latest Spysweeper and after I upgraded to Spybot1.5.2 and tried to run a Spybot scan, I keep getting these Spysweeper boxes saying that this site or that site is blocked and that I was trying to access the site. Even when nothing is open on the taskbar, something is still trying to get at these sites and Spysweeper keeps telling me about it.

I got rid of Spybot, but it is still happening.

Please tell me how to clean all of this up.

tashi
2008-02-13, 22:33
Hello.

Even when nothing is open on the taskbar, something is still trying to get at these sites and Spysweeper keeps telling me about it.

Have you contacted SpySweeper about this, as it is their program giving the alerts since you installed and uninstalled Spybot-S&D. :)

AnimeFollower
2008-02-13, 23:16
Does it REALLY matter if they have been informed or not? really?

Because according to Elidon and myself, all of this happened after Spybot was updated to 1.5.2. And I can verify with my firewall that SOMETHING is going out there trying to connect to all of these "blocked" sites.

What I really want to know is how do I get my machine to stop doing this. Do I do a windows restore to a week ago? Is there something that can find and get rid of this "whatever-it-is" that is causing this?

I do not know if someone got to one of your mirror sites and screwed around with your updates and put in some evil software and right now, I don't care. You can track down the vicious people that did this, detective. Right now, I just want to know how to get my machine to stop doing this.

And turning off Spy Sweeper is not the answer because all that does is turn off the "indicator" that something is wrong.

I want to SOLVE the problem, NOT disable all the things that tell me there is a problem.

So, please, help me out here.

Thank You.

Yodama
2008-02-14, 08:43
Spy Sweeper has a feature in which it makes DNS queries for every single entry in the hosts file. That means if you apply a hosts file, like the Spybot S&D hosts immunization or the MVPS hosts file, Spy Sweeper will check every entry for a valid IP address.
Host file immunization was also part of Spybot S&D 1.4 but was availble in advanced mode only, since Spybot S&D 1.5 it is part of the regular Immunization. It is usally at the bottom of the Immunization screen, listed as Global (Hosts). Try undoing this item and see what Spy Sweeper does. Immunize this again and see if the warnings of Spy Sweeper reappear, if so you may want to upgrade your version of Spy Sweeper, the current version (5.5) does not give warnings when it makes the DNS queries.
If you have any more questions about this issue please also post a screenshot of the warning.

snoweagle
2008-03-05, 02:57
Spybot v1.5.2.20 and Spysweeper v5.5.7.124
I have run both programs for several years without a problem. However since upgrading to Spybot 1.5 from1.4 I also saw numerous alerts from Spysweeper. I am no expert but it appears that the new Global host file in Spybot is seen by Spysweeper and is checked against the DNS and possibly added to Spysweepers data base. I maintain several family computers and have seen this on all of them. Spysweeper eventually checks them all and stops the alerts. The most recent update of Spybot generated one more check by Spysweeper. I have not seen any other issues to date. Hope this helps.

normana
2008-03-09, 00:36
Its the HOSTS file, I found Spybot adds nearly 8000 entries to the HOSTS file, and SpySweeper works its way through that file one entry at a time. I've cleaned out the HOSTS file, and if anything wants to update it now, let SS BLOCK the attempt. It took nearly 2 hours for my PC to work through the list. I would prefer SS's checking all the time, than Spybots occasional runs!