PDA

View Full Version : Remove Babylon

romeogaspar
2012-09-25, 18:29
Please include removal of babylon..

spybotsandra
2012-09-26, 13:20
Hello,

We have Babylon in our detections and Spybot-S&D should remove it.
Did you open Spybot with a right click and choose "run as administrator/take ownership" (www.safer-networking.org/faq/how-can-i-get-administrator-rights-under-windows-vista-or-windows-7/)?

A scan in safe mode (http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm) should also help.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

edwardmbowen
2012-09-29, 03:55
Please include removal of babylon..

agree with it bro., seconded.,

Bouncing
2012-09-29, 15:22
I am still having problems. It is still in memory in safe mode when I run it as an admin. It always finds it but can not delete it.

spybotsandra
2012-10-01, 13:10
Hello,

Please send us a complete bug report. In order to do so, please run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to Advanced Mode via the menu item Mode, let it scan, try to fix the problems (!) and then go to "Tools" --> "View Report". Tick all the 10 checkboxes (leave "Do not report disabled or known legitimate items" unchecked) you can find there and click on "View Report". Now choose "Export" and save the file to your desktop. Please attach this file to your email and send it again to detections(at)spybot.info.

Although nothing is present after a scan we will be able to locate the threat in your bug report.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

WGCman
2012-10-10, 09:30
I didn't see the small print that was sneaked next to a download button on what I thought to be a reputable website, and managed to get "babylon toolbar", using Firefox 15.0.1 and Windows XP SP3 on an AcerAspire 1362 Laptop. Spybot has successfully purged five of the six HKEY.. entries but can't fix the sixth. In both normal and safe mode, Spybot thinks the HKEY is still in use.
Any suggestions?
You asked a previous contributor to send a bug report; is there any point in my sending one, or is it being fixed?

spybotsandra
2012-10-10, 13:46
Hello,

You can also send your report. ;)
Please make sure you have run Spybot-S&D as administrator before and that you did a scan in safe mode.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Ken895
2012-10-10, 22:07
I too have the Babylon.Toolbar adware left on my computer. Same as "WCGman" post 5 out of 6 entries were removed successfully but left with one apparently corrupt Registry key which refuses to be cleared. A window states that it could not be removed as associated files may still be in use in the memory. This problem does not show up when scanned by Malwarebytes or Kapersky 2012. I have already, before reading this thread, started spy-bot in safe mode which also does not pick up the problem. On my computer in normal scan it is picked up.

spybotsandra
2012-10-11, 10:20
Hello,

I would recommend to send also your bug report.
Please make sure that you close all programs during the scan with Spybot-S&D, especially your browser(s).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Ken895
2012-10-11, 17:18
Hi Sandra,Thanks for your reply. Have sent two reports to "detections (at)spybot" One normal scan which finds the infection and one done in safe mode which does not find it. Not sure if you require the reports also, but I have attatched them in one zip folder (I think) with this message.

Babylon Support
2012-10-16, 11:10
You can find removal Info here:

http://www.babylon.com/uninstall_search/index

Go to Control Panel, click Programs (software).

Uninstall "Browser Manager" + "Bprotector" + "Object Installer" + "Babylon Toolbar on IE"

Then depending on which browser you use , follow the relevant steps:

----------------------Firefox ---------------------------

> Open a new Firefox window (website)

> Go to Tools> Options> and go to change your order, the Home. ( f.e www.google.de (http://www.google.de)) and click OK.

> Remove the search engine of Babylon by clicking the small arrow next to the icon of Babylon

> Manage Search Engines

> select Babylon and Remove

> Close Firefox and open again

> write in the address Bar "about:config " and click Enter

> Write in the search engine "Babylon."

> Click on any 'Babylon' preferences with the right mouse button and select "Reset"

In the following video you can see how to change TAB URL :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yPX-...eature=related

----------------------------- Chrome -------------------------------------------------

Open Google Chrome and click on the "wrench" icon:

Click> Settings , choose the option "Open a particular page or set of pages."

Click "Set Pages" on page Babylon and delete from the list.

To change the search engine in Google Chrome, please follow the instructions below:

Open Google Chrome on the "wrench" icon on the right side of the address bar, click:

Settings> Under "Search", click "Manage Search Engines ...".

If you see "Babylon Search" as a standard (default), select please another search engine as the default from (Google, Bing, etc.). Only then will you Babylon You can remove by clicking the little 'X'.

--------------------------------- Internet Explorer (IE) ------------ -------------------------------------

Open your Internet Explorer browser, click on "Tools", then "Internet Options" and in the section "Tabs" click on "Settings". It will open a new window, on the option "When a new tab is opened, open:" in the drop-down menu please choose "Your first homepage". Then click OK, Apply and OK.

If you delete the browser manger ,and you still get Babylon search

• Navigate to the key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlset\services, locate the Browser Manager subkey here and hit the delete key
• Go to HKLM\Software\ and delete Browser Manager from here
• Remove the dll from HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Appinit_Dlls