PDA

View Full Version : Getting An "Framedyn.dll" Error. What Is This?

HarleyRider
2005-11-30, 17:37
Hello;

Every time I start Spybot 1.4 a window pops up that says:

"This application has failed to start because Framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".

(See Attachment)

I click OK then Spybot 1.4 starts up and seems to run normal. I have re-installed it but I still get the same pop-up at start-up. Does anyone know what's going on here and how to fix this? I'm lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!! :beerbeerb

Scott

md usa spybot fan
2005-11-30, 18:16
The problem is usually caused by a bad path. Please read the following Microsoft Knowledge base article:
"Application Has Failed to Start Because Framedyn.dll Was Not Found" Error Message When You Open the System Properties Dialog Box
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319114

There is also a lengthy discussion about the problem here:
Framedyn.dll Can't Be Found, Error when starting SB
http://net-integration.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=20893

JerseyD
2006-05-16, 04:37
I just had the same problem on my PC and after reading the microsoft article I noticed one slight difference in my Path Variable. The W in wbem was a Capital W instead of lower case w. Simply changing the W to a w fixed the problem.

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem = Problem :confused:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem = Problem Solved :bigthumb:

bitman
2006-05-16, 05:55
Though you did 'fix' the problem, it wasn't the case, since system variables aren't case sensitive. You did, however, find a simpler way to fix the problem than we've used in the past.

The actual problem is that the 'Type' of registry value is incorrect, which leads to the failure of the Path variable even though it appears to be valid. Since the Type information is only visible in a registry editor, you can't see it in the Environment Variables view you were using. However, doing anything to change the Path variable will fix this, since the Type will be corrected when it is saved.

In the past we've recommended changing or removing one character and then changing it back, a two step process, but your idea of changing one character's case does it in one. In the future, I will suggest this method instead.

Thanks for the idea.
Bitman

Lumaan
2006-07-01, 12:33
Had the same problem :( but did some google and came by a website where some sayed "And I think you'll just put it into "%SystemRoot%\system32"":confused:

I did but it in to "%SystemRoot%\system32" and *Drums plz* and nomore "This application has failed to start because Framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" :bigthumb:

bitman
2006-07-02, 06:22
The framedyn.dll file doesn't belong in the System32 folder, so this could create problems down the road. The reason this worked was that the System32 folder is in the path, so the file was found during initialization, avoiding the error message but not fixing the real problem.

If you want to truly fix the problem, delete the copy you placed in the System32 folder and follow the correct instructions above. Otherwise, if this file is ever updated you will have an outdated invalid version in the path and could have problems with System Restore, which framedyn.dll supports.

BAColeNC
2006-09-14, 01:07
Okay, having same problem as above, but I do not have the Framedyn.dll in my dll cache. Also in the instructions from Microsoft the last line AI see is to Right click on the file and copy. which I understand, you're copying the finle into the clipboard, but the next line reads simply click Start tne click Run, and stops there.

Help please.

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-14, 06:36
BAColeNC:

The following article:
"Application Has Failed to Start Because Framedyn.dll Was Not Found" Error Message When You Open the System Properties Dialog Box
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319114
Reads:

View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 319114
Last Review : November 4, 2003
Revision : 1.0
This article was previously published under Q319114
On This Page

SYMPTOMS

CAUSE

RESOLUTION

Replace the Framedyn.dll File

Verify System Variables
SYMPTOMS
When you double-click System in Control Panel, or when you right-click My Computer and then click Properties, you may receive the following error message:
rundll32.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if either of the following conditions is true: • The %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Wbem\framedyn.dll file is missing or damaged.

-or-
• The Windows Path environment variable does not point to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Wbem folder.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use both of the following methods.
Back to the top

Replace the Framedyn.dll File
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type %systemroot%\system32\dllcache, and then click OK.
3. Right-click framedyn.dll, and then click Copy on the shortcut menu that appears.
4. Click Start, and then click Run.
5. In the Open box, type %systemroot%\system32\wbem, and then click OK.
6. On the Edit menu, click Paste. If you are prompted to replace the existing file, click Yes.

Back to the top

Verify System Variables
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu that appears. If you receive the following error message, click OK:

This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
3. Click Environment Variables.
4. Under System variables, click Path, and then click Edit.

NOTE: If no Path variable is listed, click New. In the Variable name box, type Path.
5. In the Variable value box, type the following:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem
6. Click OK three times (each time that you have the option).
If %systemroot%\system32\wbem\Framedyn.dll is there just fix the path.

BAColeNC
2006-09-14, 23:16
Thank you for the compete instructions. However I have another problem. The Framedyn.dll does not exist in my dll cache. Is there a way to get one?

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-14, 23:50
If %systemroot%\system32\wbem\Framedyn.dll is there just fix the path.
Does Windows\system32\wbem\Framedyn.dll exist?

If so, don't worry about %systemroot%\system32\dllcache. Just fix the path statement:

Verify System Variables
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu that appears. If you receive the following error message, click OK:

2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
3. Click Environment Variables.
4. Under System variables, click Path, and then click Edit.

NOTE: If no Path variable is listed, click New. In the Variable name box, type Path.
5. In the Variable value box, type the following:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem
6. Click OK three times (each time that you have the option).

BAColeNC
2006-09-15, 00:40
Okay I did a search and framedyn.dll does not exist on my computer any where

BTW thanks for the help.

bitman
2006-09-15, 19:50
Does the folder C:\Windows\System32\wbem exist and are there files in it?

Have you ever followed any instructions to remove something called 'Windows Management Instrumentation'? Some twaek sites are known to recommend the removal of WMI for 'security' reasons, which is a bad idea.

Bitman

BAColeNC
2006-09-15, 23:25
Wbem still exists and has two folders in it. One called snmp and another called xml. Both are empty. No I haven't done anything to WMI, at least not that I am aware of. If I'm installing or tweaking and it asks me to delete or remove something I don't know what is I stop whatever it is I'm doing.

kcmonsey
2006-09-16, 02:41
I also have the same problem. Mine started about a week ago when I removed some nasty called WinAntiVirusPro and things really got hosed up. I finally had to revert to an earlier Norton Ghost image, which I thought fixed the problem. However, this Framedyn.dll trouble is back. I did save and restore "My Documents", my web site (which I keep on the 'C' drive) and also "My Desktop" after doing the Ghost restoral.

Right after the restoral, when I ran AdawareSE (I run this in addition to Spybot), the WinAntiVirusPro was again found. I again deleted it and had no other symptoms until today. Everything, including Spybot and the 'properties' function of 'My Computer' were working fine. All of a sudden, Spybot is balking upon opening due to this missing .dll file, and "My Computer / properties" is not working again. I also have tried finding the framedyn.dll file in the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache and it is not there.

Where do we go from here???

Thanks,
Ken

eekamouse
2006-09-20, 03:42
Hey guys i had the same problem occur with the my computer system properties and loading spybot with the error message cannot find framedyn.dll. Who knows how it originally occured but likely from a antivirus program like antivir guard which i have that i believe probably caused it. I was following everything else that was posted to try to resolve the issue but was ending up in the end with the same problem still. There was something missing that i tried which fixed it. If you still need help on resolving the issue feel free to let me know and i will post the directions to take care of it.

eekamouse
2006-09-20, 03:54
Hey guys i had the same problem occur with the my computer system properties and loading spybot with the error message cannot find framedyn.dll. Who knows how it originally occured but likely from a antivirus program like antivir guard which i have that i believe probably caused it. I was following everything else that was posted to try to resolve the issue but was ending up in the end with the same problem still. There was something missing that i tried which fixed it. If you still need help on resolving the issue feel free to let me know and i will post the directions to take care of it.

BAColeNC
2006-09-20, 04:08
This is hereby a notification that I still have the problem. Please post away.

eekamouse
2006-09-20, 14:53
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type %systemroot%\system32\dllcache, and then click OK.

In that folder that opens up look to see if you have a file named "framedyn.dll" If you dont then you need to download it first by going to this site http://www.driverskit.com/dll/framedyn.dll/852.html and downloading it. In the middle of the screen there is a blue link that sais "framedyn.dll Download" in blue text click on it and it will say that its extracting the file. Wait until it is finished and it will give you the option to save it to your hard drive. Do so and then after the file is done downloading to the location you have it set to download it to drag that file into the folder called "dllcache" that is the one that opens up after you completed step 2 above.

3. Right-click framedyn.dll, and then click Copy on the shortcut menu that appears.
4. Click Start, and then click Run.
5. In the Open box, type %systemroot%\system32\wbem, and then click OK.
6. On the Edit menu, click Paste. If you are prompted to replace the existing file, click Yes.

P.S dont worry about the folders snmp and xml having nothing in them because mine doens't either. The new file you just pasted should be on the outside of these 2 folders showing them with the new framedn.dll file you just pasted there.

This i hope is the end of your problems as it was mine. Let me know how things go and if this corrects your problem. if your still having problems let me know and i will check back later today sometime.

bitman
2006-09-21, 05:04
Replacing only the Framedyn.dll file will stop the error message when Spybot loads, but won't fix the underlying problem. Since these files relate to Windows Restore and the saving of Restore Points this system is probably crippled. There are also other Security related applications that may fail to operate with these files missing.

Here's a link to Repairing and re-registering the WMI (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm), which should help with the issue.

Bitman

BAColeNC
2006-09-21, 05:40
Okay, I got the Framedyn.dll file and no longer get that alert. Tomorrow I'm going to run the WMI diagnostic.

Thanks eekamouse, and Bitman. :angel:

mikewlon
2007-03-26, 13:53
Fix worked for me thanks guys :bigthumb:

stormybob
2008-05-09, 02:43
I discovered this while tinkering one night. THIS IS FOR THE SPYBOT MISSING FRAMEDYN.DLL ONLY! THIS WILL NOT FIX UR SYSTEM PROPERTIES ISSUE! Anyway the fix is make sure its in ur wbem folder. Doesnt have to be in ur dllcache folder. Anyway copy and paste the framedyn.dll file into ur spybot folder. That should do it! CASE CLOSED!:bigthumb:

bitman
2008-05-09, 05:24
No stormybob, that's incorrect. If you do that you will stop the message but still not fix the core issue, which is that your search Path is not operating correctly.

This is quite simple to fix as the earlier posts have discussed and will also fix other issues that exist on the PC that you are not aware of that are also related to the Path.

Bitman

ahiadobe
2009-06-19, 11:38
:lip:
I also have this probelm,I use ................ ,it is fine now.recommend it to you.

Edit- Removed link -Admin

Terminator
2009-06-19, 18:36
Please read THIS (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30038) article on Registry Cleaners and why we DON'T recommend them.

greyeagle
2009-07-01, 05:12
Just had this problem occur this evening and thanks to the great information here I already have it solved. I did come across something and I don't know if it makes any difference or not but I'll just throw it out here.
Within the Spybot help file there is a link to download the framedyn.dll file. This takes you to a page where you may indeed get the file. However the version of the file is much older than the one that was in my .dll cache.
My version being 5.1.2600.2180 and 181 KB and version on that site was 5.1.2600.0 and 170 KB
I went ahead and used my file from my .dll cache and followed the rest of the instructions and all is now well.
Thanks very much for all the information and help.

F-AVRO75
2009-09-17, 16:01
Hi, I read all the "solutions" and tips, even from MS; the only solution to avoid this error message and it worked in my case is to add Framedyn.dll in the Spybot Programm !
That's the easiest way...
Kind regards and thanks to "Spybot" for this fantastic programm !

bitman
2009-09-17, 17:12
F-AVRO75,

That is not the correct way to fix the issue, though it does work.

The correct way is mentioned multiple times in this thread and requires that you fix the 'broken' entry in your Path variable. Though it may appear to be correct in some cases, it isn't and can be fixed by the method given in one of my earlier posts. The other possibility is that your WMI installation is damaged, which is even worse since it is then likely that Windows System Restore is non-functional.

The issue is that if the file is ever updated by Microsoft in the future, your older copy in the Spybot S&D folder will not be which might cause issues with the operation of your PC.

What you have done is a 'hack' that stops the message from displaying, but doesn't really fix anything.

Bitman

roguez
2012-10-04, 17:55
i got this error today, and whilst i had the .dll in my wbem folder it wasn't in my dllcache, so i copied it into there and still same error. so i followed the fix to change the path and that worked, seems a program i installed changed the path

tashi
2012-10-04, 19:50
Hello roguez,

This thread was started in 2005, which version of Spybot-S&D are you running? :)