PDA

View Full Version : Cannot login to winxp home

casual user
2006-08-17, 10:58
After running the S&D, which cleaned almost all my adware and popups, I rebooted to finish the scan which seemed to have worked fine. I rebooted it again to double check everything when I got an welcome screen with the error of "no domain name "compusa1" does not exists" (or something like that, I am using my computer from work to report this) and it does allow me to change and retype the user name and password, but the error keeps coming up and it does not continue.

I tried "Administrator, and blank password" with no luck.

Please help! Should I restore the registry that was backed up during scanning? But I can't start the OS... And there is no mention of how to restore registry in a situation like this.

Any ideas?
Desperate casual user

md usa spybot fan
2006-08-17, 15:21
The only thing that I can suggest is to see if you can boot your system in Safe Mode and then do a System Restore to a point in time before the error occurred.

From the following article:
Windows XP System Restore Is Easy to Use
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

If System Restore doesn't work in Normal Mode, it might work in Safe Mode. To use System Restore in Safe Mode, press the F8 key during reboot and choose Safe Mode. When your computer starts in either Safe Mode or Normal Mode, System Restore can be used to capture a working previous state. System Restore can't be opened unless the system is bootable into one of these modes.
Also from:
How Do I Boot Into Safe Mode?
http://www.laplink.com/support/kb/article.asp?ID=102

How Do I Boot Into Safe Mode?

If your computer is running Windows XP
From the Windows Start menu, go to Turn off computer and click Restart.
As the computer restarts, watch for a progress bar at the bottom of the screen. press F8 about once every second.
Immediately press F8 before the progress bar reaches the right side of the screen.
From the Windows Start-up menu, highlight Safe Mode and press Enter.
Wait for your desktop to appear, and then make the necessary repairs (for example, uninstall programs or devices).
When the repairs are done, restart the computer, and allow it to boot normally.
Alternate:
From the Windows Start menu, click Run.
In the Open field, type MSCONFIG and click Ok.
On the BOOT.INI tab, check /SAFEBOOT.
Click Restart when prompted.

casual user
2006-08-17, 19:27
Thanks for your suggestions. I can't get to a windows screen except for the welcome screen. I tried the F8 while it starts, but it does not give me the option to start in a safe mode. I just get a list of drives which to boot from.

I did not try pressing the F8 at the time of the white bar. I will try it tonight.

Any help on changing, assigning or removing the domain before windows starts up?

Again, thanks for your help MD.

Mahalo,
casual user