PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 2 is finally here!

daemon
2012-11-19, 20:41
Spybot 2 just got released! :)

See our web site (http://www.safer-networking.org/) for more information and download links.

daemon

imageek
2012-11-19, 21:53
Great news! Just ran a full system scan, no issues. No false positive, no nothing. I'll test the protection and cleaning abilities tomorrow or in the upcoming days. :)

cootmaster
2012-11-19, 22:29
mine found benien cookies
why is it seem like when i open up other things on computer it bogs

noel-pr7
2012-11-20, 19:48
nice but there's one little disappointment.

The System Requirements (especially the Windows OS requirements) for Spybot Search & Destroy 2.0 final are not listed on the Spybot web site :sad:

a reminder that Spybot 2.0 requires at least WinXP SP2 to use. Win2000 SP4 users should use Spybot 1.6.2 as that version is still supported.

some longtime Spybot users may still think that v2.0 may have the same system requirements as the previous version 1.6.2.

the webmaster of the spybot web site should list the new system requirements for spybot 2.0 on the spybot download page ASAP.

spybotsandra
2012-11-21, 10:40
Hello,

You'll find it here (http://www.safer-networking.org/about/compatibility/).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

laopa
2012-11-23, 01:19
Hi,

Version 2.0 looks great so far. Issues I have however are;

(1) in 1.62 I could add the Spybot Hosts Files to HostMan which I use to manage and update my Hosts File. Can not seem to get this to work with 2.0 as the whole Advanced Tools Section/Choices and that function seem to either be so much smaller of not there?

Probably me, not looking in the right place but guess I was used to 1.62.

(2) I also have a few rouge Opera Cookie Protection (193) Unprotected that I cannot seem to get right on the XP PC but it works fine on the HP Pavilion DV6 Laptop (Win 7 Home Premium) system.

System: 2.85 Gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9550, twin 500GB Raid Mirrored HDDs, 4GB RAM, External 1.5TB HDD, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600) (32 bit) with HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L [CD-ROM drive] and NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 1GB DDR3 [Display adapter], LG Flatron E2441IV [Monitor] (24.0")

spybotsandra
2012-11-23, 11:09
Hello,

1. Please open the Start Center and go to Startup Tools.
There is a tab "Hosts".
Otherwise you can make your host changes manually here:
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

2. Are you logged in as admin or as user with admin rights?
Do you have other user accounts on your pc?
Can you make a screenshot of the immunization page?
Which Opera version do you run?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

johnwrites
2012-11-24, 13:45
Disappointing

No tea timer and apparently donation requests are part of the 'free' one

laopa
2012-11-25, 02:21
Hi,

Opera 12.11. In terms of Screen Shots it appears, from my perspective, near on impossible to Paste/Post then on the forum, so that would be a No.

After a few days of hassling with SD2.0 I have uninstalled it and returned to 1.6.2. At least that Version works and does what I want. Being logged in as the Administrator does not help.

The Add Spybot Host Files function just is not a feature of SD2.0.

1.6.2 also does not have the same "bloatware" feel and performance issues as SD 2.0.

Sad really but iy often seems that great freeware/donationware expands itself into trying to be all and do all and then fails at actually being any use any more.

Such is life:sick:

johnwrites
2012-11-25, 14:03
It is the worst and most confusing update of a program i have ever seen. from around 15MB to 52MB and still not even a tea timer r any real time protection in the 'free' one. Obviously trying to sell the one with real time protection i am getting rid of it anyway

dma01
2012-11-30, 08:11
Have just upgraded from 1.6 to 2... and problems! - MS Word 2003 backups deleted... MS Word 2003 settings altered... Screen freeze on opening up user panel... my system Dell Vostro 1710, Vista SP2

spybotsandra
2012-12-03, 15:40
Hello,

Could it be that you fixed all items that were found in a scan including usage tracks?
If you want to keep such stuff you can exclude those items from future scans:
How to exclude products from the search? (http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/how-to-exclude-products-from-the-search-2/)
To fix any problems you have after performing a scan with Spybot you can use the Quarantine function
in the Start Center which helps you to recover deleted items.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

willbprog127
2012-12-09, 03:24
First, I must say that I appreciate all of the efforts of the Spybot team. You guys have made a very valuable tool that many people have come to rely on through the years.

I reviewed Spybot - S&D 2 today and was both impressed and disappointed. What impressed me is that there are many new and powerful tools included with ver. 2, however what left me disappointed is the disjointed user interface. All of the tools appearing in a different window just seems like a giant step backward. While ver. 1.6's user interface wasn't the pinnacle of greatness, it was more organised and gave the program a friendlier feel.

Just my three and two-quarters centavos...

Will B.

ZenWarrior
2012-12-13, 20:07
It is the worst and most confusing update of a program i have ever seen.
I must agree 100%. After using Spybot for years, feeling safer and recommending it to all others, I am now uninstalling and forgetting it for the first time ever. This is a classic case of a supposed upgrade actually being a major downgrade, at least with keeping the end user in mind. A fantastic program which was once easy to use now has me totally confused and wondering, "WTF?"

I'm sure the devs are deaf to any such remarks for they likely see themselves as only perfect, but this "upgrade" should go back to the drawing board. The program becomes entirely useless when it's uninstalled vs. being at least merely okay when the former version would have remained installed. Goodbye, Spybot. I'll remember the good times, but not the present god-awful mess you've become.

Locuus
2012-12-16, 22:42
Installed Spybot 2 Free edition on 2 computers - 1 running Win 7 x64 and the other Win 8 x64.

All browsers closed. On both computers Immunization does nothing. It acts like it immunizes - the numbers move to the green (Protected) column, but after I re-open it they are again all in the Unprocessed column. Running the program or just the Immunization as Admin does nothing.

:sad:

AnE942
2012-12-17, 07:08
Been a spybot users for years. Just downloaded 2. to my 'new to me' laptop.

Um what the heck? A bit suprised when I opened. Seems to work-scanned files but will be uninstalling. Redesigned by Ipad users? Bought out by Google? Guess I should consider the non inclusion of the ribbon interface a plus. But serioulsy..
Simply dont understand motivation for the interface change especially way results are shown. Breifly looked around to see what new release was trying to accomplish but didnt see anything. Noted previous version 1.6 still downloadable so i'll try that for a while-sad imo.

spybotsandra
2012-12-17, 15:54
Hello,

Immunization:
If you think nothing has been immunized, please make sure you have clicked on “Check system” which can be found on the navigation bar on the left. This will check for already applied immunization.

The system is still immunized when you close Spybot.
In order to see it you just need to manually "Check System". We will improve this feature, that it will automatically do this once you open the immunization. This should avoid misunderstandings.

Interface:
In our discussions with our users we realised at an early stage that they wanted a more modern user interface. We believe we have managed to create a new front end in our Start Center that has a clean look while proving easy access to many additional new features and tools.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

zaphodb777
2012-12-17, 20:26
Now, I know the 1.6.2 was released as freeware on a strange type of license, regarding unrequited love (very cool), but 2.0.x having nag screens? Even seeing that in the download turned me off.

As the author of a true blue GPL V.2 security application (php based), I understand that contributions may not come as fast, or as much as one would like. However, this new intrusion, plus the lack of a real-time scanning/system protection agent, has me very, very unsure about upgrading. I find it very sad to see a great "free" application, has become shareware (subtype nagware) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagware). I hope any profits now made from it, are divided amongst those who put so much effort into the detection rules that were brought over from 1.X, under the guise of supporting a community effort/free application.

As for now, I am sticking with 1.6.2, backed by other products, and am looking for true, free alternatives (which may be an impossibility).