PDA

View Full Version : Help me clean the slate

Strudelbaum
2012-12-11, 12:35
Spybot has saved in its recovery section a malware (Claro search) that pops up every time I start my Chrome. I deleted the recovery folder to no avail. Even uninstalled Spybot.

According to AVA Find the stuff is in C:\Users\All Users\Spybot - Search&Destroy\Recovery

Now, my PC (running Win / Home Premium 64 bit SP1) does not have an "All Users" file, just "Public" so I can't even hit that thru command prompt.

Please tell me where the secret stash is!

spybotsandra
2012-12-11, 13:13
Hello,

Spybot - Search & Destroy quarantines the malware it removes in these zip-files, so you can restore them if something goes wrong. They are password protected so that the user does not accidently unzip those malicious quarantined files. Another reason for the password protection is that some anti virus tools scan zip archives and might "detect" the already fixed problems as still present threats.

The password is: recovery

The folder you are refering to is a hidden folder.
To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:
1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
2. Double-click on the My Computer icon.
3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
4. After the new window appears select the View tab.
5. Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
6. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
8. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
9. Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
10. Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

Or have a look at this page (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx) to see how to show hidden files and folders.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Strudelbaum
2012-12-11, 13:29
That was quick and thorough!

Thank you Sandra.

spybotsandra
2012-12-11, 13:30
You're welcome. :)