PDA

View Full Version : Error during installation

kkoz83
2012-12-26, 00:46
Hi everybody, how are you?

I wanted to upgrade from Spybot S&D 1.6 to 2. I used Revo to completely uninstall S&D, restarted my Windows 7 PC, and went to download version 2.

Toward the end of installation, I receive an error creating registry keys. It says

"Error creating registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHNE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Spybot - Search and Destroy\

RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5.
Access is denied.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway, or Abort to cancel installation."

Any suggestions? I installed on 3 PCs running XP or 7 without an issue.

Zenobia
2012-12-26, 09:11
Were you prompted by UAC at any time during installation?

kkoz83
2012-12-26, 18:11
Were you prompted by UAC at any time during installation?

No - I have UAC turned off.

Zenobia
2012-12-27, 08:09
Is your account an administrator account? :)

spybotsandra
2012-12-27, 15:32
Hello,

Please try to rightclick the installer and choose run as administrator.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

kkoz83
2012-12-27, 16:30
Is your account an administrator account? :)

Yes I am.

kkoz83
2012-12-27, 16:32
Hello,

Please try to rightclick the installer and choose run as administrator.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

No help, same error :(

Zenobia
2012-12-28, 10:51
If you're familiar with regedit,you could go into the registry to have a look,if you wish.
Go to Start,type regedit,and doubleclick it.
Navigate to KEY_LOCAL_MACHNE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Spybot - Search and Destroy\
Rightclick the Spybot Search and Destroy key(should look like a folder),and follow this to back it up,just in case:
http://antivirus.about.com/cs/tutorials/ht/regkey.htm
(You don`t have UAC turned on,so the above instructions should work.)

Then,rightclick Spybot - Search and Destroy again,and select Permissions.See if the username that you are installing with has full control.

kkoz83
2012-12-28, 19:50
If you're familiar with regedit,you could go into the registry to have a look,if you wish.
Navigate to KEY_LOCAL_MACHNE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Spybot - Search and Destroy\
Rightclick the Spybot Search and Destroy key(should look like a folder),and follow this to back it up,just in case:
(You don`t have UAC turned on,so the above instructions should work.)

Then,rightclick Spybot - Search and Destroy again,and select Permissions.See if the username that you are installing with has full control.

I cannot get to the spybot art under key_local_machine\.......\eventlog because they is no spybot "folder" under that path. The farthest I can go is "eventlog" with a bunch of sub-keys.

Zenobia
2012-12-29, 10:06
Sorry,my mistake.It wouldn`t be there because there was an error creating it. :spider:

Do you have another admin account on your computer that you could try installing Spybot from?

kkoz83
2012-12-29, 20:01
Sorry,my mistake.It wouldn`t be there because there was an error creating it. :spider:

Do you have another admin account on your computer that you could try installing Spybot from?

Good idea, I'll try it :)

kkoz83
2012-12-29, 20:18
Good idea, I'll try it :)

I tried on my other admin account & no luck - same exact error :(

Zenobia
2012-12-30, 02:04
No problem,we'll go back to the registry. :)
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHNE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog
Rightclick the Eventlog key,and back it up,just in case:

Then,rightclick Eventlog,and select Permissions.See if the username that you are installing with has full control.

kkoz83
2012-12-30, 03:33

Then,rightclick Eventlog,and select Permissions.See if the username that you are installing with has full control.

I'll let you know within 24 hours.

kkoz83
2012-12-30, 18:04

I see the attached picture. Only SYSTEM has Full Control & Read checked.

Zenobia
2012-12-31, 09:57
Thanks for the picture,makes it easier. :)
On Administrators (Kamil-PC\Administrators) checkmark Full Control under Allow,click Apply,then OK,and then exit the registry.
Please let me know if installing Spybot goes okay now. :)

kkoz83
2013-01-01, 00:01
Thanks for the picture,makes it easier. :)
On Administrators (Kamil-PC\Administrators) checkmark Full Control under Allow,click Apply,then OK,and then exit the registry.
Please let me know if installing Spybot goes okay now. :)

So far so good. Kind of unrelated question - if I do a system restore back to Friday, will that affect this registry change?

Zenobia
2013-01-01, 03:45
Good,glad it worked. :)
Yes,if you do a system restore back to Friday,it may affect the registry change.And it may affect your installation of Spybot also,since you installed after Friday.I've had to restore shortly after installing other programs before,and they are still on my computer,but not really installed,per se.

However,if a system restore is needed,you ought to go ahead,then follow the above instructions to take control of the Eventlog regkey,and reinstall Spybot afterwards,if necessary.

kkoz83
2013-01-01, 03:49
Good,glad it worked. :)
Yes,if you do a system restore back to Friday,it may affect the registry change.And it may affect your installation of Spybot also,since you installed after Friday.I've had to restore shortly after installing other programs before,and they are still on my computer,but not really installed,per se.

However,if a system restore is needed,you ought to go ahead,then follow the above instructions to take control of the Eventlog regkey,and reinstall Spybot afterwards,if necessary.

Thanks!!! :)

Zenobia
2013-01-01, 06:40
You're welcome. :)