PDA

View Full Version : Can't Run - Can't Uninstall Spybot

sprstock
2012-12-31, 01:34
I am visiting my brother, living several thousand miles away, who had two instances of Spybot S&D on his Windows XP machine. You couldn't tell which was running or not. I decided to uninstall both and start over. I unistalled the first from the Start Menu using Spybot's Uninstall feature. When I tried to uninstall the second from the Start Menu I got an error message reading: Message file "C:\Program Files\Spybot-Search & Destroy 2\unis000.msg" is missing. Please correct the problem or obtain a new copy of the program. I got the same message trying to uninstall from the Control Panel. When trying to install a fresh copy of Spybot S&D when I chose to uninstall previous installations I got the message again.

From the Start Menu any other Spybot feature I choose, Scan, Start Center, Tray Icon, Immunization, File Scan and Create System Report resulted in a message titled: SD Welcome.exe-Unable to Locate Component. The body reads: This application has failed to start because rtl150.bpl was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

Is there some way to provide these files so an uninstall may be completed?

I hesitate to simply re-install and ignore the section asking to uninstall previous installations.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
sprstock

Zenobia
2012-12-31, 10:38
This is Spybot 1.6.2?And are you trying to install 1.6.2 again,or were you installing Spybot 2.0?I just need to know so I can find the best way to go about it. :)

sprstock
2013-01-04, 05:23
Thanks for your reply and sorry it took so long to get back to you but I was on my way back home. The version he had on his machine was 2.0.12.

He has since downloaded and installed version 1.6.2 and can no longer find any version 2.0.12, but still sees two installations or maybe I should say two icons and two quick start buttons, both now activating version 1.6.2 which seems to run OK.

Hopefully this solution he tried will work for him. Do you see any downside?

Thanks for your input.

Zenobia
2013-01-04, 09:01
No problem. :)

He has since downloaded and installed version 1.6.2 and can no longer find any version 2.0.12, but still sees two installations or maybe I should say two icons and two quick start buttons, both now activating version 1.6.2 which seems to run OK.

Hopefully this solution he tried will work for him. Do you see any downside?
That's odd.
So,the Spybot you uninstalled was Spybot 2.0?
If so,and he does only have one Spybot (1.6.2) on his computer now,then unis000.msg is usually located at C:\Program Files \Spybot - Search & Destroy,if I remember that correctly.If he wanted to try again,he could check and see if unis000.msg is located there.
If it isn't,then installing Spybot 1.6.2 again,to the same location should place unis000.msg in there,and he should be able to uninstall once again without getting the "Message file "C:\Program Files\Spybot-Search & Destroy 2\unis000.msg" is missing. Please correct the problem or obtain a new copy of the program." error.

If that works out okay,then he shouldn't have problems installing Spybot 2.0 again,if he wishes to:
http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/