PDA

View Full Version : odd behaviour: unscheduled boot scan

aliceangel
2013-01-03, 19:11
Hi Guys :)

Well I hope someone can help as this seems like an odd problem and I can't find any info on it... My boyfriend has an old desktop running Windows XP. Very dodgy machine, very unstable and crash-prone. I wonder if there's some undiagnosed virus (though it's got Spybot, Avast and used to have Malwarebytes - they found nothing) or if it's maybe just old and senile, needing a new Windows install or just a whole new PC!!

Anyway today it all ground to a halt and crashed (Google Chrome issues but that's another story). He closed all programs, updated Avast because it prompted him to and then rebooted.

Computer rebooted and appears to now be doing a Spybot boot-time scan. If the scan is paused or Spybot is closed, it just resumes the scan from the beginning. I said just turn the power off and see what happens when you switch it on. He's one of those panicky "aah I'll lose everything on my computer!!" kind of people so he refused.

We are 100% sure that the boot scan was not manually scheduled. I've never done a Spybot boot scan but I gather it's in an obscure place in the advanced mode and not likely to be scheduled by accident.

If anyone can help I would appreciate that very much!

Thanks xxx
xxx

tashi
2013-01-04, 07:05
Hello aliceangel,

My boyfriend has an old desktop running Windows XP. Very dodgy machine, very unstable and crash-prone.

I said just turn the power off and see what happens when you switch it on. He's one of those panicky "aah I'll lose everything on my computer!!" kind of people so he refused.
With a machine that is already unstable he has a point. ;)

Which XP version and is there a service pack, if so which one?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/service-packs-download#sptabs=xp

We are 100% sure that the boot scan was not manually scheduled. I've never done a Spybot boot scan but I gather it's in an obscure place in the advanced mode and not likely to be scheduled by accident.
Have you opened Spybot in the advanced mode > Settings and checked "System start" to see what the setting is?

Also which version of Spybot is installed and when were the detections last updated?

Best regards. :)