PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need to immunize?

Anthony A
2006-08-21, 06:35
If I understand correctly the immunize feature includes two parts. The browser helper that prevents bad downloads and the permanent immunize section that makes changes to the registry and adds items to the restricted sites section of IE. Basically these features prevent bad active x controls and tracking cookies from being downloaded/installed by IE.

I use Firefox and Opera 99.999% of the time. I only use IE for my banking site (it doesn't work well with the other browsers) and some on line virus scanners I use that require active x controls to run. I know these sites are safe. In addition I have tweaked IE to not accept 3rd party cookies and not download unsigned active x controls and prompt for signed active x controls.

How would I benefit from immunizing with Spybot? TIA

tashi
2006-08-21, 07:57
How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281)

Please read that sticky topic, it may help you in making a decision. :)

Regards.

Anthony A
2006-08-21, 14:59
How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of Spyware/Malware (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281)

Please read that sticky topic, it may help you in making a decision. :)

Regards.

Yes thank you I have read that and all the other stickies and FAQ and anything else I could get hold of. I just wanted to make sure I understood that correctly. From reading that link again it seems that immunization is really only of benefit if you use IE. If you don't use IE than Spybot is best used as a on demand scanner, detection and removal tool. Unless I am misunderstanding what I have been reading.

noel-pr7
2006-08-23, 00:51
If I understand correctly the immunize feature includes two parts. The browser helper that prevents bad downloads and the permanent immunize section that makes changes to the registry and adds items to the restricted sites section of IE. Basically these features prevent bad active x controls and tracking cookies from being downloaded/installed by IE.

I use Firefox and Opera 99.999% of the time. I only use IE for my banking site (it doesn't work well with the other browsers) and some on line virus scanners I use that require active x controls to run. I know these sites are safe. In addition I have tweaked IE to not accept 3rd party cookies and not download unsigned active x controls and prompt for signed active x controls.

How would I benefit from immunizing with Spybot? TIA

Spybot Immunization is also available for Opera web browsers as long as the Opera browser is installed in the \Program Files\Opera\ folder. If Opera browser is installed in a different folder other than \Program Files\Opera\, then Spybot may not offer immunization for Opera browsers.

BTW - I use Opera browser 9.01 which is the latest version available