PDA

View Full Version : Spybot requires a CD to be in the drive before opening Settings

queron
2013-01-25, 23:00
I've been using Spybot for quite a long time, but I've never run into this little oddity before...

I'm running Windows 7 32-bit

Whenever I go to open the setting, Spybot persistently pops up a window saying "no cd in drive" - if I put any cd in the drive, it shuts up and lets me do what I want, no problem.

I'm not trying to run it off a cd, it's installed on my system and (otherwise) works just fine.

Thoughts?

Zenobia
2013-01-26, 11:07
Are you using Spybot 1.6.2? :)
http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/why-do-i-receive-the-error-message-no-disk-in-the-drive/
Do you have Drive C assigned to a device with removable media?

queron
2013-01-28, 05:40
Running Spybot 2.0.12.0
And no, the hard drive is assigned as C:

Zenobia
2013-01-28, 09:32
Then unfortunately the only other solution I know of for you to do is the one you have been doing.....keep putting the cd in the drive.

Is your Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 folder located here?
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2

bbnetwork
2013-01-28, 14:43
Did you try to uninstall Spybot 2 and install it again?

Do you have more as one User-Account on your Computer?

queron
2013-01-28, 22:28
Is your Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 folder located here?
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2

Yes it is.

Zenobia
2013-01-29, 06:24
And you only get the "no cd in drive" message when you try to access Settings,never during or after a scan,or opening any other part/section of the program?

bbnetwork
2013-01-29, 08:51
Maybe Spybot did not fet installed correctly or a previos version did not get removed correctly. Thats why my questions again

Did you try to uninstall Spybot 2 and install it again?

Do you have more as one User-Account on your Computer?

Zenobia
2013-01-29, 11:59
Maybe Spybot did not fet installed correctly or a previos version did not get removed correctly. Thats why my questions again
Yes,that might be.
I was also thinking that there might be something up with SDsettings in the Spybot folder,though it could be a long shot. :)

queron
2013-01-30, 03:43
And you only get the "no cd in drive" message when you try to access Settings,never during or after a scan,or opening any other part/section of the program?

Correct - it only does this when I go to access the settings. Otherwise, it works just as great as it always has, without a lick of trouble.

bbnetwork
2013-01-30, 10:06
Correct - it only does this when I go to access the settings. Otherwise, it works just as great as it always has, without a lick of trouble.

Since you seem to ignore me and my questions, im out here

Zenobia
2013-01-30, 10:08
Ok,thanks for letting me know. :)
I tried moving SDSettings from my Spybot folder to see what would happen,and Spybot gave a warning that files are missing when I tried to run it.So,I figure your SDSettings would be present in the same folder,or you'd get the warning I did,not the message about inserting a cd.
And also looked for SDSettings in the registry,but the only place I could find SDSettings listed was under event viewer,so I don't think anything there would cause you to get the 'Insert a cd' message,unless SDSettings is hiding very well in there.

It might come down to the easiest solution being to try uninstalling/reinstalling Spybot,or continuing to put the cd in the drive when you try to access settings.

You could try going to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 and doublechecking that SDSettings is there,and also rightclicking Properties and seeing if everything looks all right.The location listed should be C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2.