PDA

View Full Version : Missing unis000.msg file - Can't uninstall older version

faber
2013-01-26, 05:43
I am trying to uninstall a 1.6 version and the message tells me the uninstall file is missing. Is there anyway to replace the file? I already tried to install a new copy of the program but it won't let me use the uninstall file from that to do the job.

I need to remove all traces of this program as since I used it my IE9 stopped working, forcing me to use restore points to make it work again. I probably lost this file while trying to clean out all traces of the old program.

Zenobia
2013-01-26, 11:13
Did you try installing Spybot 1.6 over the top of the existing Spybot 1.6,or were you installing Spybot 2.0?
If you do install 1.6 over the top of the existing one,it should replace the missing unis000.msg file,and then let you uninstall Spybot 1.6 afterwards.
http://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors16/

faber
2013-01-26, 18:34
Thank you!!! Funny thing is I tried to do that yesterday before writing this message and it just did not work. The new download just uninstalled itself and left the old behind. I think I changed the settings in the download this time and that may have done the trick.

Thanks again for letting me know I was on the right track. In about a week or so I will try again, this time using Spybot 2.

Ever since I did a scan with spybot and removed some stuff, my IE9 has been refusing to work. Then I used a restore point to get the thing back and it work again. There are still things I wish I could clean out but can't take the frustration right now of having IE9 quit on me. Thank heavens I also have Firefox loaded on this machine or I would have been in lots more trouble.

Zenobia
2013-01-27, 07:12
You're welcome. :)
Do you think your computer is still infected?
If so,I could refer you to the malware removal forum.

faber
2013-01-27, 18:23
I know I still have some adware that I will need to remove. The problem was that each time I ran Spybot it found and removed things and then IE9 failed. When I ran system restore (undoing everything Spybot had removed) IE9 began to operate perfectly again.

Spybot must have removed a file that IE9 requires. Sometimes it is hard for us lay people to understand all the files on the list that Spybot has identified as bad stuff we don't need. I think I will set a new restore point next week and try again with Spybot 2. I am on a 64 bit Windows 7 machine. It is funny that it only damaged IE9 and left Firefox untouched.

I am 74 years old and newly diagnosed with Breast Cancer so this has been more than I wanted to deal with right now.

Zenobia
2013-01-27, 23:50
I am 74 years old and newly diagnosed with Breast Cancer so this has been more than I wanted to deal with right now.
I am very sorry to hear that.I know it has to be rough.

Spybot must have removed a file that IE9 requires. Sometimes it is hard for us lay people to understand all the files on the list that Spybot has identified as bad stuff we don't need. I think I will set a new restore point next week and try again with Spybot 2.
Okay.If you run into any problems with IE 9 failing again next week,or anything,please feel free to post back here,and maybe it can be looked into further,if you feel up to it. :)