PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Basics

eunacom
2013-02-09, 13:41
I just installed SpyBot S&D and ran the first system scan.
It detected 54 items which it then listed.
I am unsure of how to handle these items.
They are all checked for removal but since some of them involve registry entries, I am hesitant to quarantine or remove them.
Where can I find information explaining exactly how to proceed?

bbnetwork
2013-02-10, 10:24
Hello eunacom,

could you please include the Report of the scan, where the found are shown, to see where they are located.

eunacom
2013-02-10, 11:47
The scan results are attached.
All were automatically checked for removal, but since many of them are registry related, I was unsure if they were actually registry 'errors' and I hesitate to do anything registry related when I'm unsure of what I am doing.

In a word, I simply don't understand exactly what the scan is telling me.
I sincerely appreciate any assistance.

bbnetwork
2013-02-10, 13:07
I checked the log you provited, the found items can be removed without problems, there is nothing false positiv.

If you start the scan again (please start it as Administrator (rightclick -> run as Administrator)) the items will be selected automaticly.
Now you can click "Fix selected".

Maybe you will need to restart your Computer and allow Spybot to make Changes. Please do so.

eunacom
2013-02-10, 13:58
Thank you very much for your help.
Your timely assistance is greatly appreciated.
If I understand correctly, when I run a scan, I am pretty safe in accepting the recommendations for 'fixing' the problems?

bbnetwork
2013-02-10, 14:39
Thank you very much for your help.
Your timely assistance is greatly appreciated.
If I understand correctly, when I run a scan, I am pretty safe in accepting the recommendations for 'fixing' the problems?

Since the definations which are used from Spybot are well tested, in the most cases the risk of False-Positiv is very less and even if there is False-Positiv only one Software may not work never the whole System will be destroyed and so you always could undo the changes.
Therefore, yes you are almost safe if you accept the selected as long as you dont use any exotic

eunacom
2013-02-10, 15:11
Once again, my sincere thanks for your help.

Stan