PDA

View Full Version : teatimer browser toolbar alert during system startup.

thingie
2006-08-23, 03:39
Hi. Apologies if this issue has been discussed before. I ran a search but couldn't find anything applicable.

When my system starts up and my system tray is in the process of being populated, I get this message twice:

8/22/2006 5:48:31 PM Allowed value "{C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B}" (new data: "") deleted in User-specific browser toolbar!

I chose to allow it, because the help file said not to worry if it is something that is not happening while you are browsing the web. However, I am curious (and concerned) as to what this might be.

This started happening yesterday. I went into my lavasoft ad-watch settings and went to change the "lock startup section" (accidentally, I meant to change an entirely different option, actually.), got those tea timer alerts, allowed them, but then I unchecked the "lock startup section" option for ad-watch, realizing this was not the setting I wanted to change anyway.

So essentially, the ad-watch settings were exactly the same. I didn't activate the new one I truly wanted to change (for troubleshooting purposes) and I changed the other one back to the way it was originally. As it stands now, the settings are identical to the way they were before I tried the change.

However, when I startup today, I got those same tea timer browser alerts. I am assuming this is an ad watch issue, but I am concerned because ad-watch really doesn't do anything with the browser, and normally when something is logged with ad-aware, tea timer alerts me that it originated with a lavasoft process with the "AWMON" title. As a result, I am curious as to what this means. Why is it trying to delete a value from my toolbar? Should I be concerned? Is this truly an issue with ad-watch, and has anyone else had this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

md usa spybot fan
2006-08-23, 05:50
Try refreshing TeaTimer's snapshots files and see if the messages at bootup stop.

TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshots were taken. This happens primarily when you reboot the system. To refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.
TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.

Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

thingie
2006-08-23, 07:23
Thanks. That seems to have rectified that. However, I seem to have this other problem now. When I open up my webpage to certain sites, IE dies. Sometimes I will get that "send error report" message. Other times I wont. When I do, I click on the details option and get something mentioning gdi32.dll. I did some searches and it mentioned something about registry corruption. I don't know if this is related to what happened with tea timer or not. I used one of those free registry scanning services, and it noticed hundreds of problems. However, I am hesitant to fix them (you need to buy the product anyway) since god knows what it will do.

Normally the sites that my browser crashes on are user forums. The first one I went to where I had this problem was bleepingcomputer.com, specifically http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t16852.html

I also started getting a cascade effect when I started up my system, where it would be logging attempts at registry entries from adaptec easy CD creator, a program I zapped from my computer ages ago. I would keep getting popup after popup, and it wouldn't stop. (The path and the registry entry key tea timer was referencing was nonexistent.) Anyway, I ran the roxiozapper utility again, and that seemed to stop. I have also exited and started tea timer and ad watch up repeatedly after all of this, to purge the snapshots. However, I am still having the IE browser dying issue.

I took a hijackthis! log and will post it in the appropriate forum to see if this is a browser hijack issue. But in the meantime, do you know of anything related that might be a problem?

I think I'm going to try to get myself a copy of service pack 2 and see if this fixes what is going on. I'm currently up to date on all of my sp1 software. (I'm on dial up, so unfortunately, I might need to find a disk somewhere.)

md usa spybot fan
2006-08-23, 18:11
I have no idea what could be causing your problem.

I suggest that you post in the Malware Removal (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) forum and see if someone there can spot something that is causing the problem.

Before posting make sure that you following the instructions in the following article about scanning your system, not only with Spybot-S&D but also with an on-line AntiVirus scanner. Then run a fresh HijackThis log and include the HijackThis log and the log/report produced from the on-line AntiVirus scan in your post.

Malware Removal (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) forum posting instructions:
BEFORE you POST and Who will advise you. Preliminary Steps!
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
Do not attempt to upgrade to XP SP2 until your system is clean.