PDA

View Full Version : xerox\nwwia

frienlyfire
2013-04-14, 23:08
(Look2Me ~ Winlogon.exe)

Hello,

I found a empty directory mamed xerox on my XPSP3

C:\Programme\xerox\nwwia

I've tried to delete bit it says it's in use by another Programm or Process.
So I got on it with Unlocker.

In the window it did display:

1. Winlogon.exe
2. Explorer (because i looked at it with explorer)

With Unlocker I've deletet that xerox thing and its subfolder because I never had anything installed from xerox and imediately the system went crazy.
None of the open Programs worked anymore, showing just empty windos.

I tryed to restart but had no Privilegs to do so, so I switched of Power.

After restarting the system everything seemed to work like before, but after I checked Explorer again that empty xerox-and-his-subfolder-thing was back in line like before.

Immediately that old thing Look2Me injecting winlogon came to my mind.
Has this anything to do with that?
There is an very old Version of L2M remover 1.2 on the Internet but this program was made back in 2005 so maybe this won't work nowadays, cause L2M changes faces everytime.

Is Spybot2 able to find it and delete it properly?

What should we do?

Thanks for your reply :thanks:

tashi
2013-04-15, 06:11
Hello frienlyfire,

I found a empty directory mamed xerox on my XPSP3

C:\Programme\xerox\nwwia

I've tried to delete bit it says it's in use by another Programm or Process.
So I got on it with Unlocker.

With Unlocker I've deletet that xerox thing and its subfolder because I never had anything installed from xerox and imediately the system went crazy.

See this post by Ronnie Vernon:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/-GEeMtVGUAk/iVusytCcvToJ

Best regards.

frienlyfire
2013-04-15, 19:13
Hello tashi thx for the provided link :bigthumb:

I've spent some hours on my free time at night to read up and down the internet "In search for the piece of mind"

and I found this little information:

The Xerox folder is to do with the scanning software built into XP - it's licensed from Xerox. If you have plugged in a scanner, a webcam, or a digital camera at any time that's likely why it's popped up. It's not malicious, but it is part of the XP system files. Just ignore it.
The Japanese company manufactures Xerox copiers, fax machines, scanners and other office hardware.
Xerox has a scanner and OCR software tinkered with which you can scan directly into purely XP.

The driver is installed from MS XP, MS has agreed in return to the path
"\ xerox \ nwwia" is implied.

Windows XP (and ME part) can scan from home and even support OCR. The technology behind it has been licensed by Xerox, that's why MS also pays for that. The folder is called a pure temporary folder where the land data during the scanning, to where they are then permanently stored. NWWIA stands for Windows Image Acquisition Network, is also used when you are tagging or similar cameras. Something like that certainly know quite a few to TWAIN.But this has not completely answered my Question yet.

Is Spybot able to find

that old thing Look2Me injecting winlogonand delete it?
Maybe this L2M Tread is history and long gone or is it still lurking somwhere?
Do we have to worry?

Now I think of installing one of those operating systems people say its working. What was the name again? Linux? :D:
I really coult need som sleep

tashi
2013-04-15, 19:41
Hello frienlyfire,

One can perform a search on our homepage: http://www.safer-networking.org/ :)

Is there a particular reason you are inquiring about Look2Me which is an old infection. Do you have an anti virus program installed?

Regarding your operating system, a reminder that support for XP is ending April 8th 2014 and time flies. ;)

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/springboard/archive/2013/04/08/365-days-remaining-until-xp-end-of-support-the-countdown-begins.aspx