PDA

View Full Version : Error during check!: Win32.Autorun.cfto

Chevron7
2013-05-23, 16:04
When I run Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.6.2 (build: 20090126) (Win 98SE) with the latest definitions I receive the following error:

--- Search result list ---
Error during check!: Win32.Autorun.cfto [1 - $759C99D9] (TRegExpr(comp): *+ Operand Could Be Empty (pos 1)) (Status)

Am I infected with this malware? How should I proceed?

spybotsandra
2013-05-24, 15:00
Hello,

I am very sorry, but the problem seems to be related to a 15 year old operating system.

Since Microsoft has also stopped supporting such old Windows versions you should probably be considering either an upgrade or taking that PC out of service as soon as possible. Once Security updates are no longer available it becomes impossible for any security software to truly protect an operating system effectively.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Chevron7
2013-05-28, 19:57
While I agree with your statement, it is not a solution. The problem is that Spybot may have detected some malware but is unable to process it properly. Since Spybot 1.6 is still available on your website, the proper solution is to fix the detection method used. Is my system infected with this malware or is this a false positive? Help please!!!

If you no longer wish to support this version then do NOT allow downloads of it from your website.

spybotsandra
2013-05-29, 10:36
Hello,

That is no infection, as nothing was found in the scan.
It is just an "Error during check" where the scan could not process this item.

There won't be any program changes or development in version 1.6.2 anymore as this is an old version.
Spybot 2.0 and 2.1 have already been released.
I'm sure you understand that we can't keep developing old versions anymore when new ones are already out there and available to use.

Not to mention the 15 year old operating system that is likely causing this problem.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Chevron7
2013-05-29, 16:03
Thank you for the clarification on the error. I confirmed you conclusion by manually inspecting my system per the instructions on http://corby1.rssing.com/browser.php?indx=1706569&item=1968.

I understand the reasoning for not doing further development on an old version but I would have thought that any new definitions downloaded via that version would be compatible with that version. However, since I do not know the scan mechanism that logic could be flawed. Thanks again for the followup.

spybotsandra
2013-05-29, 16:30
Hello,

The new definitions are compatible with the old Spybot version 1.6.2.
It's the old PC which seems to have problems with this part of the scan.
You won't get this error running 1.6.2 on Windows XP, Vista or 7.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

reader
2013-06-05, 13:34
i just got this error after my update this morning. I have a 3 year old PC running Vista. Is this malware? How do I get rid of it?
Thank you

spybotsandra
2013-06-05, 13:49
Hello,

Which version of Spybot do you run?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

reader
2013-06-05, 13:58
Hi,
sorry 1.6.2.46

PBCConsulting
2013-06-05, 14:25
Hi Sandra. I have the exact same problem this morning on a 64-bit Windows 7 workstation patched and up-to-date.

Exact error is:

Error during check!: Win32.Autorun.cfto [1 - $95CE1D85] (TRegExpr(comp): *+ Operand Could Be Empty (pos 1)) (Status)

It appears about 1/20th of the way into the scan.

Spybot version is:

1.6.2 (build: 20090126)

Please advise.

Thanks --

Hello,

I am very sorry, but the problem seems to be related to a 15 year old operating system.

Since Microsoft has also stopped supporting such old Windows versions you should probably be considering either an upgrade or taking that PC out of service as soon as possible. Once Security updates are no longer available it becomes impossible for any security software to truly protect an operating system effectively.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

davlong
2013-06-05, 14:43
I've received a similar error as the previous posts. More specifically:

Error during check!: Win32.Autorun.cfto [1 - $95CE1D85] (TRegExpr(comp): *+ Operand Could Be Empty (pos 1))

I have a 1 1/2 year old laptop running windows 7.
Using Spybot SD version 1.6.2.46

kopfnuss
2013-06-05, 15:07
since updated spybot today I have the same problem like davlong. i'm using windows 7 32 bit

spybotsandra
2013-06-05, 15:47
Hello,

You seem to be using a dated version of Spybot-S&D.

Please uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy according to the following link (http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/how-to-uninstall/).
Then download our current version Spybot - Search & Destroy 2.1.
You will find links to several download locations (http://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors/) for this new version on our web site.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

DACComputers
2013-06-05, 16:18
Hi Sandra. I have the exact same problem this morning on a 64-bit Windows 7 workstation patched and up-to-date.

Exact error is:

Error during check!: Win32.Autorun.cfto [1 - $95CE1D85] (TRegExpr(comp): *+ Operand Could Be Empty (pos 1)) (Status)

Spybot version is:

Please advise.

Thanks --

I just got the message also. I logged onto my companies FaceBook page and when I clicked on the messages tab Avast blocked me from doing it. So I ran a Spybot scan and came up with the same error message. I did the Spybot updates before the scan also.

I am running Windows Vista Business, with Avast Anti-Virus, and Spybot version 1.6.2.46 with the latest detection services as of 6/5/2013

reader
2013-06-05, 16:33
Thank you Sandra! 2.1 installed and scan showed no issues :2thumb:

spybot user
2013-06-05, 16:54
On two computers I get the same error since today's update - one running Windows 7 and one running XP. Please advise.

garryp
2013-06-05, 18:38
I also received the same error during check warning and I have a brand new Windows 8 system.

Exact error is:

Spybot version is:

Please advise.

Thanks --

cootmaster
2013-06-05, 19:04
i also had this w 1.62
i updated to 2.1 ran fine no errors
what was causing it?
was 1.x too old?/broke down

DarkGuyver
2013-06-05, 20:09
Just performed an update on version 1.6.2 this evening and I've encountered the same exact error as everyone else here. Will you guys fix this problem with next weeks update for version 1.6.2?

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition.

Kavu2
2013-06-05, 20:39
Same error here...
XP SP3 win32 Home Ed
SpyBot v1.6.2.46
update 6/5/2013

No other issues and scan was clean except for this error.

--------------------
--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.6.2 (build: 20090126) ---
------------------------

drghughes
2013-06-05, 21:53
You seem to be using a dated version of Spybot-S&D.

So why is v1.6 still available on the Spybot web site: http://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors16/ ?

antnikko
2013-06-05, 22:34
I just downloaded Spybot on Sunday, thought it had gotten rid of all the bad stuff, but started getting unrelated ads when clicking google links again today. Before checking I emptied my google chrome history, and immunized, as advised. When I started running the scan I got this same message (Win32.Autorun.cfto[1-$95CE1D85][TRegExpr[comp]: *+Operand Could Be Empty [pos 1]].

My computer is 4 years old, Vista, and as I said, this did not happen when I ran the last scan (yesterday).

dlpcap
2013-06-05, 23:24
I have 3 pc's – xp, vista, and 7 using 1.6.2.46.
All show the win32Autorun.Cfto 'error'.
The only time I use the xp is once a month to update all a/v type programs. The xp box is for
extreme backup conditions, as necessary. No email is received on that box.

I uninstalled 1.6.2.46 on the xp.
Installed 2.1 on the xp.
Ran a scan and nothing found.
However, on the scan screen says 'The scan will not include extended antivirus checks'.
What does this mean?
How do I get a 'full' scan?
Also, the Spybot Startup screen shows: 'Internet protection full'.
I don't want Spybot interfering with my other a/v stuff.
I use it for on-demand scanning to complement the other.
Can the 'Internet protection full' be disabled?

I found this link on your forum to get rid of w32.autorun.cfto manually:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?68547-Manual-Removal-Guide-for-Win32-Autorun-cfto
However, I don't see any entries associated in the instructions using msconfig.exe.
Also, I did find's on w32.autorun.cfto, autorun, and cfto via regedit and found no entries also.

Anomalee
2013-06-06, 00:22
I to had the same problem arise. Also 64 bit Windows 7. What do we do? Make the jump to version 2.0? Please tell because I love Spybot 1.6.2 with TeaTimer.

PaulStorm
2013-06-06, 00:27
I have the same issue too,

Win7 64bit high spec gaming PC
Running I7 Nvidia 690 GTX ,

and squeaky clean,

cootmaster
2013-06-06, 01:34
this what i saw this morning on both xp and vista

cootmaster
2013-06-06, 01:41
Just performed an update on version 1.6.2 this evening and I've encountered the same exact error as everyone else here. Will you guys fix this problem with next weeks update for version 1.6.2?

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition.

here won't be any program changes or development in version 1.6.2 anymore as this is an old version.
Spybot 2.0 and 2.1 have already been released.
I'm sure you understand that we can't keep developing old versions anymore when new ones are already out there and available to use.

it sounds like 1x is done

cootmaster
2013-06-06, 01:44
im guessing this error has do w 1x and its old and outdated?
and to fix it go to 2x?

dfjung
2013-06-06, 02:25

Exact error is:

Spybot version is:

Please advise.

Thanks --

Same problem on Vista 64 bit since downloading SB 1.6.2.46 today. Ran last weeks version yesterday no problems.

Where do we go from here?

Thanks

tgoodman
2013-06-06, 06:03
I have the older version the 1.6
It would behoove your company to let people know exactly what is going on.
Is this malware?
A virus?
Or that there is glich that needs to be corrected by uninstalling the 1.6 and installing the 2.0 or 2.1.
Your loyal users deserve better treatment.
I love your product and I have a well off friend who donates for me and others that he knows so that we can use your program.
I really don't think that it's fair that people are freaking out left and right....myself included because you haven't issued a notice about a need to update to a newer program to your current users.
T. Goodman

antdude
2013-06-06, 06:07
I am having the same problem on my updated 64-bit W7 EE SP1 machine after getting today's updates. I had no problems in the past and on my very old updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine.

If this old Spybot version is unsupported, then why does it still get weekly updates?

cootmaster
2013-06-06, 06:38
Is this malware?
A virus?
Or that there is glich that needs to be corrected by uninstalling the 1.6 and installing the 2.0 or 2.1.
I love your product and I have a well off friend who donates for me and others that he knows so that we can use your program.
I really don't think that it's fair that people are freaking out left and right....myself included because you haven't issued a notice about a need to update to a newer program to your current users.
T. Goodman

no its neither virus or malware That is no infection, as nothing was found in the scan.
It is just an "Error during check" where the scan could not process this item.

There won't be any program changes or development in version 1.6.2 anymore

japandroid
2013-06-06, 06:41
Is this malware?
A virus?
T. Goodman

Actually, SpybotSandra already posted in this thread that we need to upgrade to the latest version. Could this error message be intentional just so we can upgrade? Hmmm! But, to be fair, I can understand why the developers of the program would rather everyone upgrade and stop using the older version just so they won't have to worry about keeping the older program working properly.
I'm going to upgrade. I just hope the issue of the program having problems working well with the eBay website is resolved. If not, I'll have to come back to Spybot version 1.6.2.46 or start using an alternate program!

spybotsandra
2013-06-06, 08:42
Hello,

This has also been reported here (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?68714-Win32-Autorun-cfto).

Thank you for reporting this issue.
There is an error that slipped through QA.

This will most likely be updated with the next detection update scheduled for next Wednesday.

I will inquire about the upgrade information for 1.6.2 to 2.1.
1.6.2 should be able to display such information, but it may not be able to use the integrated updater to download and install 2.1.

Correction update is public.

Please just search for new updates and download them.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

gigim
2013-06-06, 09:21
Same problem with me on Windows XP with Spybot version 1.6.2.46
More: an "ilivid.Toolbar" is detected and Spybot cannot delete it.
What can I do? Thanks.

spybotsandra
2013-06-06, 09:25
Hello,

That is a different problem.
Did you open Spybot with a right click and choose "run as administrator/take ownership" (www.safer-networking.org/faq/how-can-i-get-administrator-rights-under-windows-vista-or-windows-7/)?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

dfjung
2013-06-06, 17:33
Same problem on Vista 64 bit since downloading SB 1.6.2.46 today. Ran last weeks version yesterday no problems.

Where do we go from here?

Thanks

It appears they have fixed this problem as there is a new update out there this morning and since installing it the error no longer shows up.

Thanks

cootmaster
2013-06-06, 17:41
so its fixed now? CONFERMED

gigim
2013-06-06, 17:50
Hello,

Did you open Spybot with a right click and choose "run as administrator/take ownership" (www.safer-networking.org/faq/how-can-i-get-administrator-rights-under-windows-vista-or-windows-7/)?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

No, Sandra.
I opened Spybot as always, with a double click on its icon in my desktop.
Thank you anyhow.
Gigim

Kavu2
2013-06-06, 19:01
Thank you Sandra and the SpyBot team for the speedy fix on the Win Autorun cfto error....thanks!

tgoodman
2013-06-06, 21:06
Thank you very much for looking into this. This is good info. Sincerely, Trudi Goodman

Hello,

This has also been reported here (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?68714-Win32-Autorun-cfto).

Please just search for new updates and download them.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

SueW56
2013-06-06, 22:05
Hi I have this error on a Windows 7 PC SSD version 1.6.2.46

Can you help please?

cootmaster
2013-06-06, 22:08
did u update definitions
or u can run 2.1

Anomalee
2013-06-07, 06:25
Thank you team spybot for fixing the problem. You guys are great!!!

VELIKSON
2013-06-07, 11:40
No, it is not fixed. It is really amusing to see the same problem reported in 2005 and appearing now, with initially a completely bullshit answer from Spybot that the trouble resides in a non updated version of Windows, and then we see that the same problem appears in all version of Windows and in all versions of Spybot. I am not a fan of political correctness. This is called professional incomtence. It looks like no one at Spybot having enough knowledge to at least recognize the nature of the problem has ever been informed of the issue, instead of which "Sandra", whatever her or his real name is, just gave out usual phone support salestalk.

I am disgusted.

spybotsandra
2013-06-07, 14:00
No, it is not fixed. It is really amusing to see the same problem reported in 2005 and appearing now, with initially a completely bullshit answer from Spybot that the trouble resides in a non updated version of Windows, and then we see that the same problem appears in all version of Windows and in all versions of Spybot. I am not a fan of political correctness. This is called professional incomtence. It looks like no one at Spybot having enough knowledge to at least recognize the nature of the problem has ever been informed of the issue, instead of which "Sandra", whatever her or his real name is, just gave out usual phone support salestalk.

I am disgusted.

Yeah, actually that's my real name, and I'm a real person - shocker -
This issue has been reported as a false positive and it has been fixed. (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?68714-Win32-Autorun-cfto)

spybotsandra
2013-06-07, 14:02
Hello,

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

No, Sandra.
I opened Spybot as always, with a double click on its icon in my desktop.
Thank you anyhow.
Gigim

As I already said, this has nothing to do with this problem.
And unless you run Spybot as admin like described above you won't have the sufficient rights to fix this item.

shagger1
2013-06-09, 01:18
Thanks a lot sandra,after updating today I get no more error!!!!
Only question is since 1.62 is dead shold we continue to update
this version or leave it as it is so the error message does not
come back??
You are doing a great job and Kind Regards
Rod

cootmaster
2013-06-09, 02:05
you went w 2.1?
i think 1x had a patch
so im not sure if dead yet

shagger1
2013-06-09, 02:24
you went w 2.1?
i think 1x had a patch
so im not sure if dead yet

No I still use 1.62 and I updated it today and now it works
fine-was wondering if I should still update it? I dont want
that error message to come back,you see?
Rod
Wisconsin as well! Go Pack!

cootmaster
2013-06-09, 05:31
i went w 2 and was done w it