PDA

View Full Version : AVG detected infected/ broken .exe file

Gwawr
2013-05-24, 14:08
Hi, first time here. My computer experience is limited to primarily being a user. I know enough to have protection on my computer. I have Spybot, Super Anti-Spyware, Augics (?) Register Cleaner as well as the Registery Defrag, AVG free anti-virus, and one more different disk cleaner from sstools. I run the AVG every night as well as the Super Anti-Spyware. On the weekends I run Spybot. Up until this past Wednesday, I had no infections/viruses. I'm doing an online class through Coursera.org and it requires Vpython. On Wednesday night, I downloaded the program. AVG detected a broken infected .exe file:

C:\Programfiles\GamesBar\SearchEngineProtection.Exe(1208)

As I said, up until this past Wednesday, no problems, not until I downloaded that. The Vidle had a broken link (I know that because the icon was the generic windows icon). I talked to my IT guy at work and he told me to do this: when I first boot up my computer, hit F8 to bring up the DOS window. Select Safemode with network. Get onto the net and download malwarebytes. Run it while in safe mode. And I did all of that. The malwarebytes did remove some cookies/PUPs files. I ran my Super Anti-Spyware (removed 39 tracking/Ad cookies). I also removed/uninstalled the Vpython program. Then again ran the AVG program. That file mentioned upbove, still comes up as an infected and broken file. I read that it is safe to remove this particular program on this forum. And that I can do that through the Add/Remove programs. Or can this be deleted/removed through Windows Explorer? Will removing this file fix this infection?

I ask that "tech speak" be kept at a very minium. Only recently have I decided to start learning to code and am far from understanding all "tech talk". I thank you for your time.

tashi
2013-05-24, 18:09
Hello Gwawr,

To request assistance in this forum the FAQ includes guidelines in post #1 and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the preliminary DDS and aswMBR logs used for analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

You'd need to start a new topic providing the logs for a volunteer analyst to advise when available.

FYI: Registry Cleaners, not recommended (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30113) :)

Best regards.