PDA

View Full Version : Afraid I might have a few viruses + adware

wilbso
2013-05-24, 19:38
Hi there,
So, I am very worried that i have a few viruses. Here's my situation:

I have 2 laptops, 1 running linux and 1 running windows. (Thewindows one is actually my mums, Which is why im panaking more than i usually do, because she has her bank details etc on her laptop)
So i decided to download the 'easy youtube downloader' for firefox browser, because there was some music that someone made but they didn't provide a download link....
I installed it on both my windows laptop and linux laptop.

The reviews said it was safe, so i went for it.
Thats when a few months later i re-read the reviews because it wouldn't seem to download the music that my friends made, so i went back onto the mozzila firefox addons page, where i downlloaded it from. Thats when i saw that the people using it finally found it it contained yontoo adware/malware inside the addon. I instantly got worried..... So i removed it off both laptops almost immeditaly. I noticed on the windows laptop, in my addons page where it shows all addons installed, i saw another addon that was automatically disabled. It was called 'MyWebFace'. I instantly uninstalled that via the control pannel. when it had uninstalled it said something like You will need to restart your computer for the changes to work. However, I decided to wait before i restart my computer.
After a while of thinking, I decided to download spybot, Because my dad used it and said it was a good tool. So i downloaded it, and it found 14 spyware or adware things, so i clicked fix selected. Then, i did another scan, and it said it found 1, but when i clicked 'show scan results' it didn't have any spyware or adware listed. Im guessing this might be because i uninstalled the MyWebFace.

However, what worries me even more, is that the music i downloaded using the tool, i put on my iPod touch 4g. Will my ipod be infected? And is my linux laptop infected? I have heard linux desktops dont get viruses

So, my questions now, are:

What do I do now?
Is my linux computer infected because i heard linux doesn't get many viruses?
Is my iPod touch infected? should i do a reset on it?

Thank you, I hope someone can help me.

tashi
2013-05-24, 20:00
Hello wilbso,

The tools analysts used are made for Windows. :)

Hi there,
(Thewindows one is actually my mums, Which is why im panaking more than i usually do, because she has her bank details etc on her laptop)

In order for someone to advise please see the forum sticky which includes guidelines and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the preliminary DDS and aswMBR logs used for analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Then start a new topic as shown in that FAQ along with a description of the computer's symptoms or provide a link back to this topic.

A volunteer analyst will assist when available, please bear in mind it is a holiday weekend in some countries so keep this link handy.
Waiting for help in the Malware Forum FOUR days or longer? (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1137)

Best regards.

wilbso
2013-05-24, 20:32
Hi tashi,
Thank you for replying, and thank you for the tips.

I already know that the tool is for windows, I didn't use it on the Linux Laptop if thats what you were thinking ;)

Thank you, i will keep the link in handy, and i will follow your instructions...
Thanks once again,
Have a good day