PDA

View Full Version : Not Sure What I have... Very Slow computer

wkdclwn
2006-08-27, 06:54
I have read a few posts but have not found exactly what I am looking for so here is my situation. I have a Compaq with windows xp pro and a pentium 4 1.4 ghz processor. Running Mcafee av and also spybot and spyware blaster installed. AOL is my isp. Computer was fine. No problems. Shut it down to connect another computer and when I hooked it back up it was as slow as a 100 yr. old man. Took nearly an hour to boot up. Took almost as long once I got past the windows log on for all my desktop icons to load. Click on a program to open (spybot,aol,etc.) and it takes a good 10 min or so for anything to open up. Ran spybot and didnt find anything. Internet connection is pretty much hopeless. It connects but literally will take 10 min for a page to open. Left mcafee running overnight and it was still not even 50% finished with the scan. Usually can scan in about 30 minutes. I am almost to the point of just reformatting the hard drive and hoping it will work. Had a friend who is a software developer for Sony recommend doing the reformat b/c he said he had a similiar situation and could not get anything to run. I dont want to lose all my files on the hard drive though. Please, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

tashi
2006-08-31, 06:17
Hello.

As this is the malware removal forum if you still require assistance it would be best if you followed the procedure to get a HJT log, it might shed light on the problem.

"BEFORE you POST" -Preliminary Steps (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

If a software/hardware problem you would be better served going to a forum which deals specifically with such.

Good luck. :)

tashi
2006-09-05, 00:52
This topic has been archived.

If you need it re-opened please send me a private message (pm) and provide a link to the thread.
Applies only to the original topic starter.