View Full Version : Eight problems continually needing fixing.

safey
2006-08-27, 16:53
Hello,

I have an Acer TravelMate running Windows XP.

I regularily update and immunise Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4.

I usually am notified of problems when Spybot checks, and these are then fixed.

However I notice that there eight here which Spybot claims to have fixed, but they continually are reappearing almost immediately. I check straight after fixing them but they seem to reappear as if they never were fixed. This is what they are titled:

Advertising.com
Avenue A, Inc.
CasaleMedia
DoubleClick
ErrorSafe
FastClick
MediaPlex
ValueClick

Naturally I am concerned for the health of my computer.

Thanks to anyone who can help,

James

tashi
2006-08-27, 17:29
Hi there

Have you tried this:
1) Reboot your computer into SafeMode by doing the following:

Restart your computer
After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, begin tapping F8.
Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

2) Open Spybot-S&D while still in safe mode.

Close all browsers, check for problems and fix everything found in red
Repeat until no more items are found in red

a) Close Spybot-S&D
b) Reboot back into Windows

We could also see a log:

Open SpyBot, check for and get any updates available.
On the toolbar menu, select mode and switch to advanced mode, on the left lower down select tools, and view report, ensure all the options are selected near the bottom except

Uncheck[ ] do not report disabled or known legitimate Items.
uncheck[ ] Include a list of services in report.
Uncheck[ ] Include uninstall list in report.

Now select (near the top) view report.
Press export in the save in box choose a place such as your my documents folder, then in your next post near the bottom select the "browse" button; navigate to and attach or post that report.

Cheers. :)

DoktorRock
2006-09-01, 02:40
Hi there

Have you tried this:

Restart your computer
After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, begin tapping F8.

a) Close Spybot-S&D

I've been having the same trouble.

I've tried your suggestion quite a few times, but the problem persists.

Is there anything else I can do?

spybotsandra
2006-09-01, 09:41
Hello,

Which browser do you use?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

DoktorRock
2006-09-01, 17:32
I use Internet Explorer,,,

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-01, 17:42
DoktorRock:

Please post the actual detections you are getting. To do that without posting an image:
Run another scan.
When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
Then paste those results to a new post in this thread.
Thanks

DoktorRock
2006-09-01, 23:35
DoktorRock:

Please post the actual detections you are getting. To do that without posting an image:
Run another scan.
When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
Then paste those results to a new post in this thread.
Thanks

Ok...here it is:

Avenue A, Inc.: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Administrator) (Cookie, nothing done)

HitBox: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Administrator) (Cookie, nothing done)

CoreMetrics: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Administrator) (Cookie, nothing done)

DoubleClick: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Administrator) (Cookie, nothing done)

Advertising.com: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Administrator) (Cookie, nothing done)

MediaPlex: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Administrator) (Cookie, nothing done)

HitBox: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Administrator) (Cookie, nothing done)

--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.4 (build: 20050523) ---

2005-05-31 blindman.exe (1.0.0.1)
2005-05-31 SpybotSD.exe (1.4.0.3)
2005-05-31 TeaTimer.exe (1.4.0.2)
2006-07-26 unins000.exe (51.41.0.0)
2005-05-31 Update.exe (1.4.0.0)
2006-02-06 advcheck.dll (1.0.2.0)
2005-05-31 aports.dll (2.1.0.0)
2005-05-31 borlndmm.dll (7.0.4.453)
2005-05-31 delphimm.dll (7.0.4.453)
2005-05-31 SDHelper.dll (1.4.0.0)
2006-02-20 Tools.dll (2.0.0.2)
2005-05-31 UnzDll.dll (1.73.1.1)
2005-05-31 ZipDll.dll (1.73.2.0)
2006-09-01 Includes\Cookies.sbi (*)
2006-09-01 Includes\Dialer.sbi (*)
2006-09-01 Includes\Hijackers.sbi (*)
2006-09-01 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi (*)
2006-09-01 Includes\Malware.sbi (*)
2006-09-01 Includes\PUPS.sbi (*)
2006-09-01 Includes\Revision.sbi (*)
2006-09-01 Includes\Security.sbi (*)
2006-09-01 Includes\Spybots.sbi (*)
2005-02-17 Includes\Tracks.uti
2006-09-01 Includes\Trojans.sbi (*)

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-02, 06:18
DoktorRock:

Deleting Tracking Cookies.

If you can not delete those tracking cookies with Spybot, try deleting them within Internet Explorer. Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options… > General tab > click Settings > then click View files. Right click on the cookie you want to delete then select delete.

Blocking Tracking Cookies.

In Internet Explorer you can block the same Tracking Cookies that Spybot detects by enabling Spybot's Browser Helper Object (BHO). To do this go into Spybot-S&D > Immunize. Look in the last section labeled "Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer". Check the following:Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer

There is another way to prevent the storing of Tracking Cookies in Internet Explorer (even those not blocked by Spybot's resident BHO) as well as the storing of Tracking Cookies in other WEB browsers. See:
Why do other anti-spyware applications detect so many more tracking cookies?
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=faq&detail=37

safey
2006-09-04, 05:25
Hi there

Have you tried this:

Restart your computer

a) Close Spybot-S&D

We could also see a log:

Open SpyBot, check for and get any updates available.
On the toolbar menu, select mode and switch to advanced mode, on the left lower down select tools, and view report, ensure all the options are selected near the bottom except

Uncheck[ ] do not report disabled or known legitimate Items.
uncheck[ ] Include a list of services in report.
Uncheck[ ] Include uninstall list in report.

Now select (near the top) view report.
Press export in the save in box choose a place such as your my documents folder, then in your next post near the bottom select the "browse" button; navigate to and attach or post that report.

Cheers. :)

Hi Tashi. Thank you for your reply and I apologise for my late response. The "safe mode" technique did remove them, but I am not immune to them as I have just re-received them.

It looks like it might be a firefox problem. Possible there is a way to fix through firefox? Anyway, I've attached the report txt. Thanks for your help.

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-04, 05:56
safey:

You can block third party (tracking) cookies in your browser. The following article explains how to block them:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/37.html
However there appears that some third-party cookies may not be blocked in Firefox by setting the options in the above article. Please see the comments by Zenobia (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=145) in last post of the following thread:
Avenue A
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=631

DoktorRock
2006-09-08, 02:14
DoktorRock:

Deleting Tracking Cookies.

If you can not delete those tracking cookies with Spybot, try deleting them within Internet Explorer. Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options… > General tab > click Settings > then click View files. Right click on the cookie you want to delete then select delete.

Blocking Tracking Cookies.

In Internet Explorer you can block the same Tracking Cookies that Spybot detects by enabling Spybot's Browser Helper Object (BHO). To do this go into Spybot-S&D > Immunize. Look in the last section labeled "Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer". Check the following:Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer

There is another way to prevent the storing of Tracking Cookies in Internet Explorer (even those not blocked by Spybot's resident BHO) as well as the storing of Tracking Cookies in other WEB browsers. See:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=faq&detail=37

Thanks.

I tried all that, but the same problems persist.

Do I just have to live with it?

md usa spybot fan
2006-09-09, 14:28
DoktorRock:

What Windows OS are you running? What version of Internet Explorer are you running?

When you attempt to delete the cookies from within Internet Explorer what happens? Do you get messages that you can not delete the cookies? The cookies just stay there?

DoktorRock
2006-09-15, 03:15
DoktorRock:

What Windows OS are you running? What version of Internet Explorer are you running?

When you attempt to delete the cookies from within Internet Explorer what happens? Do you get messages that you can not delete the cookies? The cookies just stay there?

Window XP, and I think the latest version of IE.

No, it says the they're deleted, and they just keep coming back!

safey
2006-10-01, 05:43
safey:

You can block third party (tracking) cookies in your browser. The following article explains how to block them:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/37.html
However there appears that some third-party cookies may not be blocked in Firefox by setting the options in the above article. Please see the comments by Zenobia (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=145) in last post of the following thread:
Avenue A
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=631

Thank you good people and again, sorry for the late reply.