PDA

View Full Version : Software security in cahoots with Security Services?

musicwithedge
2013-08-17, 00:40
I have heard more than one person say that that security services get backdoors through antivirus and other protection software from the makers themselves.

I noticed the activity timer which apears next to my mouse pointer was appearing routinely every 2-3 seconds when I held it somewhere (despite no programs or net connection being visibly active). I had noticed this before with a different PC setup and the behaviour transferred when a usb device was used on other computers after it.

This is a new pc so I decided to try and find what was causing this behaviour by eliminating processes. When I eliminated the Spybot tray it stopped.

I'm not saying Spybot definately complies with demands of any Security Service or that this behaviour definately was nefarious, but it is likely that most such organisations do or would comply. And I know that such power would be abused.

Open question here. For those of us who think you don't have to be doing anything wrong to want privacy; does such thoughts factor in to any decision on what anti-spyware/malware/virus or firewall you choose?

hypercleats
2013-08-18, 22:46
By "security services," are you referring to law enforcement/legal authorities?

tashi
2013-08-18, 23:58
Hi there,

I have heard more than one person say that that security services get backdoors through antivirus and other protection software from the makers themselves.

Seen such stories around a long time but nothing to back them up. :)

musicwithedge
2013-08-19, 22:05

Not exclusively. Generally speaking, public agencies which carry out surveillance in western countries. I was told by someone who runs one of the older sites like Wikileaks.

musicwithedge
2013-09-06, 00:06
And there it was:

• $250m-a-year US program works covertly with tech companies to insert weaknesses into products

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security)

• Security experts say programs 'undermine the fabric of the internet'

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security

tashi
2013-09-06, 01:17
Hello musicwithedge,

And there it was:

Microsoft is one of the big guys: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

Your original post in topic which was moved to the Tavern from Spybot Support. :)

I noticed the activity timer which apears next to my mouse pointer was appearing routinely every 2-3 seconds when I held it somewhere (despite no programs or net connection being visibly active). I had noticed this before with a different PC setup and the behaviour transferred when a usb device was used on other computers after it.

This is a new pc so I decided to try and find what was causing this behaviour by eliminating processes. When I eliminated the Spybot tray it stopped.

I'm not saying Spybot definately complies with demands of any Security Service or that this behaviour definately was nefarious, but it is likely that most such organisations do or would comply. And I know that such power would be abused.

Open question here. For those of us who think you don't have to be doing anything wrong to want privacy; does such thoughts factor in to any decision on what anti-spyware/malware/virus or firewall you choose?
hypercleats asked,

Not exclusively. Generally speaking, public agencies which carry out surveillance in western countries. I was told by someone who runs one of the older sites like Wikileaks.

Thank you for clarifying.

Best regards.