PDA

View Full Version : Too many incoming & outgoing packets

mrsotherbee
2006-08-28, 04:20
Thanks to everyone helping out on

My problem is that my computer has WAY too many incoming and outgoing packets. The number of Sent and Received packets (as seen under Connection Status) is very high; it's in the tens of thousands after the computer has been on less than a minute and after an hour or two (even doing very little) ends up in the millions. The Received packets number is particularly high. I'm concerned (and have been told) that this could be evidence of malware at work. Everything else appears to be functioning fine.

I've followed the advice in this thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288) correctly and I think I completed all the steps correctly. My HijackThis and PandaScan logs are below. Please let me know if there's any other information I should supply and thanks in advance for any help you can provide -- I'm stumped!

========================

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:16:44 PM, on 8/27/2006
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\naPrdMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Prevx1\PXAgent.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\TBMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Prevx1\PXConsole.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\c400\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\windows\system32\blank.htm
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Malicious Scripts Scanner - {55EA1964-F5E4-4D6A-B9B2-125B37655FCB} - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Prevx\pxbho.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdpb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINNT\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCTVOICE] pctspk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Network Associates Error Reporting Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\TBMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrevxOne] C:\Program Files\Prevx1\PXConsole.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!ewido] "C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdpb.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1156352413936
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe" /ServiceStart (file missing)
O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Prevx Agent (PREVXAgent) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Prevx1\PXAgent.exe" -f (file missing)
O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - PC Tools Research Pty Ltd - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe

=========================

Incident Status Location

Spyware:Cookie/Searchportal Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\c400\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\471dzlv1.default\cookies.txt[searchportal.information.com/]
Spyware:Cookie/Toplist Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\c400\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\471dzlv1.default\cookies.txt[.toplist.cz/]
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\c400\Desktop\SmitfraudFix\Process.exe
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/Processor Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\c400\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\471dzlv1.default\Cache\633285D9d01[SmitfraudFix/Process.exe]

mrsotherbee
2006-08-30, 08:09
I apologize for replying to this thread; however, I must withdraw my request for assistance. Due to some unexpected circumstances in my life, I no longer have access to the machine in question.

I understand that you like to "follow up" with each case and fully troubleshoot it, and know that it must be frustrating when you are not able to do so. Unfortunately, in this case, I am truly unable to follow up with the machine in any form as I have no physical access to it.

I offer accept my apologies for this turn of events. This is a great service you have here and I'm truly sorry I couldn't be a better member of the community. Best of luck fighting the battle against malware!

LonnyRJones
2006-09-04, 02:59
Thanks for posting back mrsotherbee, nice of you to do so.

Im going to close the topic now
If you should need to post another log for the same PC let one of us know via a PM (personal message).