PDA

View Full Version : From bad to worse...

Warwick
2006-08-29, 12:28
Well after making an attempt at riding myself of a potiental virus by downloading Spybot Search & Destroy, I am now completely screwed. It seems Spybot removed several of my needed system files that enable WindowsXP to run. I attempted starting the computer is Safe Mode but no luck. I attempted to start the computer with it's Last Known Working/Good Configuration but no luck. When I make any attempt at booting my computer, regardless of which Safe Mode selection I choose I see (typed as shown):

WINDOWS\system 2\ntoskrnl.exe
WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.DLL
WINDOWS\system32\config\system

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
WINDOWS\system 32\config\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I looked through all the CDs I have and cannot find the original Setup CD-ROM. As far as I can remember, new computers don't come with them anymore since the operating system is installed at the factory and they keep the operating system CDs so you cannot pirate the software. The closest I can get is the upgrade CD to WindowsXP Home (Version 2002, includes Service Pack 2). I put that into the CD drive in an attempt to make a repair but no luck.

As far as it seems, my computer is now rendered useless and my only bet is to spend nearly $600 for a new Hard Drive and a full version of WindowsXP.

Warwick
2006-08-29, 12:35
WINDOWS\system 2\ntoskrnl.exe

Since I cannot edit my own post (pretty ridiculous) I must post again to state the above quoted should read:

WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Help_plz
2006-08-29, 18:57
First and foremost Spybot is not an antivirus tool, it is a malware tool. IF your WINDOWS\system 32\config\SYSTEM.ini file is corrupt as it says, then yes trying to boot into windows is going to get you nowhere. I'd recommend trying to find a friend or neighbor who might have a windows disk, then trying the repair function from that. If you still have no luck, then yes a new version of windows will probably be in order. As far as purchasing a new hard drive goes, it would only be required if you're planning on trying to salvage information off the old one, otherwise you can just reformat the current.