PDA

View Full Version : symlcsvc.exe hogging resources

trynittee
2006-08-30, 06:43
Hi,

For almost 45 minutes this evening, symlcsvc.exe was using 99% of my resources. I could do almost nothing. I did go online and learn it is a Symantec file. I just spent a frustrating 30 minutes on a instantmessenger chat with a Symantec support person who told me I needed to do a live update. That doesn't seem relevant as live update runs regularly.

So... my question is: is it likely that I have a virus that is running from within the symlcsvc.exe process? Is it normal to have that file run for that long 45 minutes and hog that much resource (99%). I have run Spybot and I am clean.

Any insights or comments are greatly appreciated.

Clare

spybotsandra
2006-08-30, 09:40
Hello,

symlcsvc.exe is an application which belongs to Norton's Internet Security Suite, and provides additional security features. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

But any malware can be named anything - so you should check where the files of the running processes are located on your disk. If a "non-Microsoft" .exe file is located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder, then there is a high risk for a virus, spyware, trojan or worm infection!

I would recommend an online antivirusscan like McAfee:
http://download.mcafee.com/us/eval/evaluate2.asp

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

trynittee
2006-08-31, 15:29
Hi,

I did an online virus check and my system is virus-free. So it would seem that everything is OK.

My concern is when I googled symlcsvc.exe I found references that viruses can rename foundation files. My concern was that this file that ran for almost 45 minutes, showing no sign of coming to an end, and taking 100 % of my CPU was in fact a virus undercover.

My next question is, can I change the priority on this file and make it run at a lower/lowest priority the next time that occurs? If I do that, will that priority level stick always or only when I change the priority? And if I change the priority at which is takes CPU resources, is that OK? Will it compromise Symantec Anti-Virus/Internet Security by changing it's priority to lowest?

Thank you for your comments.

Clare

md usa spybot fan
2006-08-31, 18:35
My concern is when I googled symlcsvc.exe I found references that viruses can rename foundation files. My concern was that this file that ran for almost 45 minutes, showing no sign of coming to an end, and taking 100 % of my CPU was in fact a virus undercover.
You could try scanning symlcsvc.exe with one of these online scanners and see what you get:
Online malware scan (http://virusscan.jotti.org/) (virusscan.jotti.org)
VIRUSTOTAL - Free Online Virus and Malware Scan (http://www.virustotal.com/en/indexf.html) (Virustotal.com)
Those scanners use multiple products to scan a single file.

trynittee
2006-09-01, 05:10
Thank you for those sites. I checked the symlcsvc.exe and it is clean. I will watch that file and monitor it if it acts up again. Mostly I appreciate you taking the time to address my concerns.

I still find it amazing that forums like this exist, that people spend their time freely helping others. This forum warms my heart.

Thank you spybot sandra and md usa spybot fan... I feel much better.

Clare