PDA

View Full Version : Win XP hangs if SB running (active) and USB HD inserted.

CliffP
2013-11-20, 19:59
I'm running ver 1.62 and if a USB hard disk is attached Windows hangs, the only way to correct is to power down with push button. If USB HD is already present when XP is booted not problem. ID SB is exited before USB HD is inserted - no problem. This didn't happen with earlier versions of SB. I uninstalled SB then everything is OK. If I reinstall SB the problem returns. I use 2 USB HDs to back frequently used files each morning and then remove the USB HD until the next morning. IF I forget to exit SB it requires a main buttoned power off, wait for disks to be scanned, reloading running software to recover to operational state. I try to remember to exit SB but things happen when your in a hurry. It doesn't appear the the resident portion of SB is restarted when you start SB from a screen icon. PLEASE HELP:confused:

CliffP
2013-11-21, 17:00
I uninstalled Spybot 1.62 and reinstalled without the Teatimer. This seems to keep Spybot from loading at Windows start up. I've installed Malwarebytes Pro and it seems to be working just fine and also keeps itself updates automatically. I can plug in and unplug the USB HDs when I need them and not have to power down and reboot the system. I will still start Spybot, update and scan on occasion but will use Malwarebytes on a continuing bases until I find a solution to the problem of hanging the system.

I will still scan the Forum daily to see any suggestions but will remain in the background for now.

Thanks -- CliffP