PDA

View Full Version : Afraid to upgrade

InventingJoy
2013-12-05, 04:31
Hi everyone, I've been MIA for awhile but I'm back!

1. I used Spybot for several years & loved it. Its something that a non tech like me can understand & use. Then something went screwy. I was getting error messages that seemed to be coming from Spybot. I tried to order new programs, upgrade etc. It went from bad to worse. The worst thing for me was that the interface changed & became to complicated for me. So I removed Spybot & used other stuff. Nothing was as good. Today, in desperation, I searched my computer & found version 6.1 It put me back in charge. However I'm afraid to upgrade or update bcs I'm afraid it might change the interface. Is there any way I can update & update without changing the interface?

2. Also, I ran the scan & fixed all the virus' But got a message saying it couldn't correct 1 thing D3472 & asked permission. I put a check in yes for permission. Then it said value added system start up user entry c:/program files/ PD/FREADE
I imagine that Spybot knows more than me so if it asks permission I give it. Right? or not. What is that? Does it matterA?

3. This probably doesn't have anything to do with virus's or maybe it does. I have no problem connecting to gmail, but when I try to go the my yahoomail, I get an error message that says I cannot connect to the yahoo page. I don'tknowif its virus, computer, modem or ? I'm running 4 very important deadlines. Is there a quick fix?

Hey Patrick. Now that I found out who wrote this, I want to compliment you. This really is a great program. Glad to be back.

Thx & Puppy love from Inventing Joy & Furry Folk

Zenobia
2013-12-05, 07:10
For question number 1,Spybot 1.6.2 is still supported.If that's the version you have,then it's all good.
If you upgrade to a later version than Spybot 1.6.2,then yes the interface would change.
But it's okay for you to update,that shouldn't change the interface.
(I don't think the later versions of Spybot are offered through detection updates,but if you do see Spybot 2.2 offered when you check for updates,uncheck that one,and it's ok to download the rest of the updates you need/want.) :)

For number 2,Spybot does offer to run on your next computer startup if there was something it couldn't fix.That does create a runonce entry in startup.And if teatimer is active,then it might ask for permission to Allow the runonce entry.So in that case,yup,it's ok to say yes.
Though the runonce entry is not c:/program files/PD/FREADE
Did Spybot run a scan when you restarted your computer?

As for number 3.....four deadlines?Yikes!
No,sorry,probably not a real quick fix.I'm not familiar with yahoo email,I haven't used it for a long time,and trying to find the problem would probably take a while.
Looking through help or contacting them might be quicker.Are you able to access this page?
http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=product&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&locale=en_US