PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 2 causing endless reboots with WinXP (SP3)

Vesperan
2013-12-15, 03:15
Hello

I installed and used Spybot 2 on a WinXP machine (with service pack 3) and it has caused significant issues - it goes into endless reboots while booting Windows.

The symptoms of the problem are similar to this link from 2012:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?66804-Major-problems-with-9-26-2012-update-file/page1

The difference being that the Spybot build was meant to have been fixed, and one of the suggestions (rename a Windows .dll file) does not work as it was already correctly named.

I have emailed software at spybot.info but thought I would post here to see if there any other suggestions.

I thought a WinXP repair installation might solve the issue, but unfortunately the Win XP install disc I have does not have a repair install option.

I'm not keen on doing a fresh install - its not my PC and while I have a backup of all core user data, I dont have reinstall disks for the likes of Office etc. Plus it would be a major pain.

Appreciate any advice. The other thread mentioned an ISO file to burn to disc and run - is that still applicable a year later though?

Thanks

spybotGS
2013-12-17, 17:41
Hello,

Try starting your computer in safe mode:
Turn on your computer.
Wait until the initial loading screen appears.
Begin tapping the "F8" key. Avoid tapping too soon or you may cause a keyboard error that will require a further restart.
Select the safe mode option once your system's "Windows Advanced Options" menu appears.
Save and close the menu and Windows XP will restart in safe mode.

And try to restore your system:
Via: Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.
Hopefully there is a restore point from before Spybot installation that you can choose to restore.

Best regards,
Team Spybot