PDA

View Full Version : frustrated!!

trassey
2006-08-30, 23:59
to make a long story short I am wondering why my spybot scan 2 times now has said windows security disabled?? I went in and noticed under servises in the control panel that windows security said boot under system statis and I turned it on automatic also, thought it was fixed till the next am. when tried to do same thing to fix it said that there was a #3 error cannot find path?? I was told that with Norton on it overrides windows security and will no be on? if thats the case why did it come on the first time I manually did it? I'm frustrated because I don't know lots about pc's this is the first problem without it being serious that I've had ..I don't know if it is something I should even worry about. I do windows updates norton is updated on a weekly basis as well as spybot and adaware I get 2-4 problems that I delete on spybot and 5-6 on adaware usually but don't seem to have any virusis to worry about .. any ideas..also windows asked me when I logged onto yahoo if I wanted to unblock something so i think it's working??

Zenobia
2006-08-31, 02:49
After the scan,if you click on Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled,then click the area to the right with the arrows on it,Spybot will give you this description:

Company:
Product: Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled
Threat: Security

Functionality
if the Windows Security Center is disabled this entry will be shown

Description
Malware can disable the Windows Security Center to make your System more vulnerable.

If you have other security software suit installed, this may also deactivate the Windows Security Center to avoid double warning messages.

I'm having a little trouble following your post.Were you in Services,and changed Security Center from disabled to automatic?And you thought it was fixed,but the next day you got an #3 error-cannot find path when you tried to enable Security Center again?
Where did it say boot under system status?

trassey
2006-08-31, 04:06
hi Zenobia thanx for the response..
well I've learned that Norton is probably overiding my windows security center and thats why it is off. sorry I'm hard to follow, when doing the spybot scan I noticed a couple times it saying windows security center_disabled, I was concerned so I tried to turn it back on
control panel - admin tools - services
it said Boot under system status and under status it said Boot and nothing for start up status.. so I turned it to Automatic start up and it worked.. till the next morning then it said it was off again. now that I know I have security through Norton as long as it's normal not to have both going I'm ok..I just was concerned because of the scan , it never said that before. I just finished doing another scan and it said congrats!! so I guess all is well for now.
Is it normal to have things show up in other scans like adaware and not spybot because I had 4 show up in that one both scanning at the same time?
thanks again Tracey

md usa spybot fan
2006-08-31, 06:25
Norton does optionally turn off certain alerts within Windows Security Center (see Note #1). However, I was not personally aware that Norton disabled Windows Security Center entirely except during installation.

Note #1: Many people have reported that Norton turns off the Firewall and Virus Protection alerts within Windows Security Center. However, according to bordello (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=8954), you can prevent Norton from turning off these alerts. See the following post:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=32092&postcount=36
In this thread:
Spybot & Windows Security Centre.....warning
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=75

Zenobia
2006-08-31, 10:52
Norton Internet Security 2006 did disable Security Center when I installed it(just default install),and it remained disabled after Norton rebooted the computer,(and after I rebooted twice more,to be sure.)Choosing the option in Norton to "Show messages from Windows Security Center" did reset Security Center back to automatic in Services.

--- Search result list ---
Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc\Start!=W=2

Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

I'd tried Norton 2005 before,and it didn't disable the Security Center service,so maybe it's just NIS 2006 that does,who knows. :)