PDA

View Full Version : Revoking permission for a registry change.

d_m_burkus
2013-12-22, 07:33
Hi! I have been unable to find anything like this in the archives of this group (via a search).

This morning SpyBot gave a warning of a requested registry change by WinSAT, and after checking on line, I allowed the change. Since then my machine has been acting a little strange, and now I would like to deny the change. Is this possible?

Thank you for your help. Please have a Happy Holiday Season, everyone!

-- Daniel M. Burkus

Zenobia
2013-12-22, 23:50
Happy holidays to you,too. :)

Just to double check, you're using Spybot 1.6.2?

Please see here about decisions made with teatimer:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?10764-TeaTimer-Revert-Decision-made-on-System-Startup-global-entry&p=65825&viewfull=1#post65825

Winsat is normally scheduled to run every week.By default,it's scheduled on Sundays at 1 a.m.So,getting a prompt from teatimer about winsat might be a normal thing today,depending on your time zone.And some people experience computer strangeness when it runs,such as Aero being shut off,etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_System_Assessment_Tool

It might be easier and better to make any changes through task scheduler rather than redoing anything to deny the change with teatimer.But also,it might be best to try to see if the winsat prompt was a normal event.If you post your teatimer logfile,it might be possible to check on that.
If you would like to post your teatimer logfile,you can rightclick teatimer icon down by your clock,select Show Log,and scroll down to the end,highlight the text where winsat is included.Rightclick and select copy,and then paste it here.

d_m_burkus
2013-12-23, 07:49
Zenobia (any relationship to M. Aurelianus? anyway, this is the first letter I have ever gotten from Palmyra -- sorry, I couldn't help myself, I just stumbled across a drama per musica on this subject not 5 minutes before receiving your letter), thank you very much for this. Since I am in Korea now, where everything is different from everywhere else (and since the strangeness has now completely stopped), I am going to assume that this was all as you describe, and not worry about it.

It is disconcerting to give permission for a change to the registry and then within a couple of minutes notice everything slow down and basically refuse to act normally; I guess that that is what Winsat is supposed to do, though, so more power to it.

Thanks, again; and please have a good week and enjoy the holidays!

-- Daniel M. Burkus

Zenobia
2013-12-23, 15:40
Zenobia (any relationship to M. Aurelianus? anyway, this is the first letter I have ever gotten from Palmyra -- sorry, I couldn't help myself, I just stumbled across a drama per musica on this subject not 5 minutes before receiving your letter)
lol! :laugh:

You're welcome.If you have any further troubles with slowness,or if anything seems amiss with the computer,please post back. :)