PDA

View Full Version : mwsbar.dll error - some advice please

scabby
2006-08-31, 00:34
Hi there, can I say in advance if this is not the place, my appologies. First time here.

I went round my mates the other day and realised, while he had antivirus and a firewall installed he had no anti spyware on it and was using his credit card. I downloaded spybot and ran it and identified 9 spyware items. I fixed them and left.

This morning he tells me he has a problem with the computer as when he starts it up it throws up an error, something like "could not start blah blah, couldn't load mwsbar.dll" or something like that and when he clicks everything else it works ok. Later on he noticed an email billing him for some money from a company he has never had any dealings with and the companies website front states other people have had similar experiences.

How can I identify the 9 (or so) spyware files that I deleted?

and how can I fix the error thats coming up with mwsbar.dll file?

If anyone can help me with any further info I would be very greatfull
like why did it happen after I deleted the spyware, i mean the timing is a little canny don't you think!

thanks again

scab's

spybotsandra
2006-08-31, 10:07
Hello,

It seems that you have deleted MyWebSearch and now you get errors because it can't be started anymore.

If you want you can make a recovery.

Please make sure you have all updates installed. (If you don't know how to use the update function yet, here's a short tutorial including a screenshot: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/update.html )
Restore your files which you have deleted with Spybot - Search and Destroy: Run Spybot - Search and Destroy, then select from the left bar 'Spybot - Search and Destroy', 'Recovery' and restore all the files and entries, which are in association with the item that should be restored. For your problem, it is especially important that you have the tools update installed. Here is the direct download link for the tools update: http://www.safer-networking.org/files/spybotsd_advcheck.exe .
After following these steps please try again. Be sure that all the Explorer windows are closed. Maybe you will have to restart your computer.

But MyWebSearch is recommended to be deleted so i would recommend it to delete it at all.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

CaplinDK
2006-09-07, 14:34
Hello,

".... But MyWebSearch is recommended to be deleted so i would recommend it to delete it at all.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Hello Sandra.

Your last recommendation seems to be the right thing to do, but that does not solve the problem of the irritating window when starting the PC "cannot load or start ..MWSBAR.DLL.....".

I got rid of the problem by deleting all entries of MWSBAR in the Registry.
(I have WinXP: Start-Run-Regedit-Search MWSBAR).

Generally only experts should change Registry settings, but this straight forward "fix" seems not to have any side effects.

Please add any comment to this.

Best regards.

spybotsandra
2006-09-07, 14:47
Hello,

I can have a look at your log, but i won't ask to post it here, as there will be a feedback like "this belongs to the malware section".

;)

So please send me a hijackthis log to:
detections(at)spybot.info

How to do this:

Please download HijackThis: http://www.downloads.subratam.org/hijackthis.zip
Double click HijackThis.exe.
Just start the program.
Hit Scan.
When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.