PDA

View Full Version : CDBurner XP Pro FYI

rblblock
2014-01-23, 23:03
Was very disapointed a week or so back. Setting up a new machine for a customer... down to the last steps. Even on Win7 (which burns optical media natively)
we routinely installed CDBurner because it has so much of a nicer interface.

No more! Last week, the burner prog was the last step in readying this new machine. Went to the authors website and got fresh copy.
In an installation "splash" screen, I saw it was going to install conduit, opencandy, and several other pieces of junk. Cancelled the install IMMEDIATELY!
Too late.

The story.
Wrote to the author seeking explanation. He replied promptly and stated his case, being that he needs to make a living. We had ~12-15 email exchanges
and bottom line, he claims he is doing nothing wrong infecting machines and using this 3rd party crapware to extract $. I sent him links to posts of things found
on this forum, on BleepingComputer, and others. Essentially, his take is that these things (Conduit, OpenCandy and the junk they bring) are not infections, not
a risk of privacy exposure, or anything else. He is insistent on keeping the trashware with his otherwise excellent product.

So... bottom line... I can no longer recommend his previously excellent product. In fact, I'm posting here now so everyone else can be aware of the issue.

I am saddened. Great product no longer safe or trustable ;(

Admin(s), if this post is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it accordingly.

tashi
2014-01-24, 00:53
Hello rblblock,

Went to the authors website and got fresh copy.
In an installation "splash" screen, I saw it was going to install conduit, opencandy, and several other pieces of junk. Cancelled the install IMMEDIATELY!
Too late.

Some programs do bundle 3rd party software which can prove difficult to remove, during the install one can often avoid the bundle if there is a pre-checked box which can be unchecked. Or is offered a custom install so the user can choose what will be installed... or not.

You did not receive either of those options? At the product site the Administrator does say the third party installs are optional (https://forum.cdburnerxp.se/topic/9526-pup-malware-included-in-cdburnerxp-downloads/).

and bottom line, he claims he is doing nothing wrong infecting machines
Or...

Essentially, his take is that these things (Conduit, OpenCandy and the junk they bring) are not infections,

Some installs have unexpected results, it can be helpful to clarify one's own experience. :)

Best regards.

rblblock
2014-01-28, 17:34
Hey Tashi!

Encountered no opt out, opt in, or any other options during install. Just left with choice to disinfect new customer load or reload entirely. Was very disappointed. I've been using or recommending that software since early Win98.

Author commented, "Well you can go to the link for other software and get clean copy form there".

Too late, I've unfortunately lost all faith in the author now.

"Another one bites the dust."