PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall string

Blade44
2014-01-29, 16:09
Hello - I have to uninstall Spybot Search and Destroy from my system but am having trouble removing it completely. I've downloaded the SpybotSD_Remove_Traces utility and installed it but the string is still present. I'm an "intermediate" user and need some guidance on the next steps. I've attached an image of the error message I'm getting, which identifies the string that is still embedded in my system. Thank you for any assistance!11181

Zenobia
2014-01-30, 03:23
I found somebody mentioning a SpybotSD_Remove_Traces.reg file in the German section of the forum,but other than that I'm not familiar with the SpybotSD_Remove_Traces utility,unless I missed seeing it in the small tools section.
From your screenshot it looks like you're on the Trend Micro webpage,so it looks to me like Titanium Maximum Security found Spybot's uninstall string in the registry,and is offering to remove it for you,and is waiting for a yes or no response.If you'd uninstalled Spybot before,you'd probably want to select yes.

Since the program is showing an incompatibility warning,I'll link to this page,just for further info. :)
http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/are-there-any-known-compatibility-issues/

Blade44
2014-02-03, 17:20
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did try and have Trend Micro remove that string but it hasn't worked and I keep getting that same screen each time I reboot, remove TM, reinstall... I'm not an advanced user but I can follow directions :) is there any way to remove that SpyBot string any other way? I have a multiple license for TM and have to include this computer under it.

Thanks for any information you have.

Heidi

Zenobia
2014-02-03, 21:51
You're welcome. :)

Removing the uninstall string may involve editing the registry,though I'll look around for a simpler way,if available.Are you familiar with regedit at all?
I'll also need to know what operating system you have,and also if you have a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.

But before getting to all that,is Spybot shown in add/remove programs(or remove program and features on Windows 7 or 8.)?If it is,try uninstalling.If you get an error or anything,don't worry about it.Just let me know,when you come back and tell me what your operating system is.

I usually peek in here about once or twice a day,so if I don't reply right away,don't worry.I will answer. :)

Blade44
2014-02-04, 01:47
Thanks so much. I think I remember using regedit once before..sweaty palms and such. :) I am on Windows XP (ancient..) and 32bit OS. I did try and uninstall SpyBot through Uninstall Programs, when that didn't get everything I found User data files and manually removed that. I think this string is the only thing left...

Zenobia
2014-02-04, 03:55
You're welcome. :)
I have an XP too,I think it's the edsel edition. :D: I keep it around mainly because I think I'll miss it,because it's in dire straits.
But in cases like these,with removing the uninstall string,they are simple and uncomplicated. :)

If you feel okay about going into regedit,please backup the uninstall registry key first.That's important,since you can use it as a backup in case anything goes wrong:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit.exe,and then click OK.
In Registry Editor, locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
In the left pane, click the Uninstall registry key, and then click Export on the File menu.
In the Export Registry File dialog box that appears, click Desktop in the Save in list, type uninstall in the File name box, and then click Save.

Once the registry is backed up,please go back into Regedit.exe,navigate back to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.Click the plus sign next to Uninstall,then scroll down until you see this:{B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A99D31DE7}_is1.
Once you find the {B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A99D31DE7}_is1 uninstall string,click on it,and in the pane over to the right,look at Display name,and make sure it says Spybot - Search & Destroy.
If it does show Spybot - Search & Destroy under display name,that should be the right one.so please rightclick {B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A99D31DE7}_is1,and select delete.

If you would prefer not to edit the registry,or if you run into any trouble along the way,please let me know. :)

Blade44
2014-02-04, 13:45
Thanks, I thought a registry edit might be my last and only option. I will have to try it. Your last sentence gives me hope that there is a workaround? or is that the Edsel option you mentioned? :)

Zenobia
2014-02-04, 21:19
Yes,I found another way to hopefully remove the uninstall string.It's much easier. :)
CCleaner should be able to remove it from the registry.If you'd prefer to try that,then please download CCleaner and install it:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Once it's installed,open CCleaner,and over to the left click Tools,then click the Uninstall button.Scroll down,and look for Spybot - Search & Destroy.If it's listed in there,click on it with your mouse,then click Delete Entry.You will get a prompt,saying that this will remove the Uninstall entry from the registry,and it won't uninstall the program.Click OK.That should remove the Uninstall string from the registry.I checked it on my computer,and it worked.
If you decide to try it,please let me know if you run into any problems along the way,or anything. :)

Blade44
2014-02-11, 15:52
I finally had a chance to apply your registry solution and it worked perfectly! Thank you! Just a slight variation on the last digit within the brackets of the registry string but when I checked the display name it was definitely the SpyBot information. All is well now and no further problems on the installation.

Thanks again!

Zenobia
2014-02-11, 17:25
Glad it worked.You're welcome. :)