PDA

View Full Version : can't install home edition/can't uninstall free version

calicopat
2014-02-06, 03:41
Hello--I'm sorry if this is not the right place for this post, I didn't find another area that seemed better. The installer hangs when I try to install the home version. The "File Download" screen just hangs for hours. I thought maybe I needed to uninstall the free version, but I can't do that either. I get an error that the unins000.msg file is missing. I checked Windows firewall to see if that was stopping the installation download, but it doesn't give me an option to allow Spybot to communicate through Firewall. What do I need to do here? Thanks in advance!!!

Zenobia
2014-02-06, 21:39
I find sometimes if I'm having problems downloading something,saving the file works better than choosing install for some reason.If you're using Internet Explorer,you could try that,if it gets to that stage. :)

calicopat
2014-02-07, 00:29
I find sometimes if I'm having problems downloading something,saving the file works better than choosing install for some reason.If you're using Internet Explorer,you could try that,if it gets to that stage. :)

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I did try that, but it didn't make a difference. The setup program starts to run, it gets to "installing" and pops up a new window "File Download" which says "Setup is now downloading additional files to your computer" but then it never completes. It doesn't stop responding, but it hangs. Task manager shows the program as running, but when I click "cancel' on the file download window it says "Do you want to cancel the download?" I click yes, it doesn't cancel. The button is active and acts like it knows I clicked on it, but just goes back to the download window. I have to end the program from Task Manager.

Zenobia
2014-02-07, 07:21
Oh,I'm sorry to hear that.Your best bet is probably to use the contact form for home and professional edition.Don't worry,you didn't post in the wrong place or anything like that. :)
http://www.safer-networking.org/contact/software-support-for-home-and-professional-edition-users/