PDA

View Full Version : Multiple antivirus programs

Frank C
2014-02-22, 19:51
Hi,
I have always believed that multiple antivirus programs were OK but that I should have only one firewall.
I have AVG Internet Security 2014 and I use it's firewall. AVG is telling me to uninstall Spybot (1.6.2.46) because it conflicts with AVG. I have been using Spybot for years and I have no evidence of a conflict with AVG. I am also behind a ActionTec M1424WR router. Is this a reasonable approach to internet security?
Thanks
Frank C

Zenobia
2014-02-23, 00:43
I had AVG and Spybot at one time together with no problems.
If Teatimer was active and there was a chance it might conflict with AVG,you could disable teatimer and use Spybot just as a scanner.
There is a chance AVG might pick up some of Spybot's immunization as a false positive,but other than that,I think it ought to be fine. :)
This FAQ is listed as for Spybot 2,but it's the same gist as with Spybot 1.6,so it should apply:
http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/are-there-any-known-compatibility-issues/

Frank C
2014-02-23, 15:21
Thanks fr the reply Zenobia.
I will continue to use both AVG and Spybot. I should probably upgrade to Spybot 2.0 but I like Spybot SD Resident.
Frank

Zenobia
2014-02-24, 04:14
Yes,I used to like teatimer myself.I thought the icon was cute.
You're welcome. :)

Frank C
2014-02-24, 18:45
I particularly like Resident TeaTimer I use it as described in the tutorial:

"If you have been installing something and/or if you judge the file that is going to be installed as good because you know its name, you can proceed by allowing the registry change (same thing if you or Spybot-S&D were deleting an application). But if the message comes out of the blue sky while you were surfing the web, you should get cautious. In this case it is better to deny the registry change."

This has protected me many times. I wish that it was still available in 2.0