PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I find viruses, but only when I scan from outside the operating system

Eqnigma
2014-02-27, 02:46
So I was tapping around one day and I decided to check my email, because I was expecting a couple of them from a company with which I just requested a service. When I opened up my inbox I found a coupon which they sent me for a free one year subscription to their forum. Since they are the company which I have chosen to publish my first book with, I figured I'd give it a shot. Once I finished registering a new account for the forum I gained access and started tapping around again. It's meant to be a site on which Authors can chat, mingle, and brainstorm; so I found a post by R.L. Stine and opened it up. By the time I read about half of his post some lady from the other half of my Apartment complex rushed out into the court yard and screamed the words "Oh and you get R.L. Stine'd!?" Which was kind of startling at the moment to be entirely honest.

My first thought was that some sort of keylogger or trojan may be present on my computer. So I ran a scan (I was using just Microsoft security essentials at the time), however the scan didn't find anything, it said that my computer was clean. But this kind of thing has happened on more than one occasion, so I didn't want to let it go. (Its actually the reason I wrote "The Aggressively Submissive Hitch-Hiker" in the first place.) So I downloaded a copy of Kaspersky's rescue disk, and ran that; It actually found some 132 viruses, and the computer wasn't bootable after I was done.

After re-installing a fresh operating system, I would like to take whatever precautions I can. Is there anything I can do to prevent the malicious use of whatever kind of auditing tools I am being antagonized with aside from installing and using spybot, an antivirus, and a decent firewall? On occasion I can't even enjoy a peaceful night out at a coffee shop I've never been too, whenever I flop down in the corner of a store and bring up a Zeitnews post describing gay rights or something, someone else always screams "Oh that's how you're going to get out of it, you're gay now!?"

The details can be pretty obscure sometimes, I was searching for patents which Nikola Tesla submitted when he was alive and again some lady screamed "Seriously you'd rather read about soaking wires in plastic!" Which wasn't accurate to what I was actually reading, but by the name "Method for insulating Electric Conductors" It would have been somewhat correlated if they were able to see the URL or something.....

The sensation is almost as if there is a camera in my eye, I know the proposition is asinine, but sometimes the level of detail indicates that it could only be attained by a pretty invasive audit or a worm which has reached all of my devices through the router..... However they all are personal devices, and I don't quite know what I'm looking for.