PDA

View Full Version : How to turn off antivirus in Spybot professional edition

jpater81
2014-03-05, 21:15
Hi guys,

I'm a new user either of Spybot or of his forum. I have installed Spybot professional edition v2.2 on my laptop with Windows 8 Pro 64bit. I have already installed on my laptop Mcafee. I need to disable at leat the antivirus of Spybot to avoid conflicts and a slow down of the computer.
Can you help me?

Regards
Giacomo

Zenobia
2014-03-08, 02:28
You could disable or uninstall Live protection.
If you open Spybot start center,checkmark advanced mode,click Settings(saying Yes to UAC,if applicable),click the Live Protection tab,then you click Show Live Protection Advanced Control,you can see two options to deactivate Live Protection,or uninstall Live Protection.
That deactivates or uninstalls(depending on which you pick)real-time protection,and should avoid conflicts with McAfee.

The system scan will still search using antivirus definitions when you scan after disabling Live Protection,but there isn't much chance of conflict that way,so that should be okay. :)

tibileo
2016-05-31, 18:01
When using SpyBot Professional on Windows 7, could I keep the Live Protection (for navigating on the web), disable SpyBot antivirus and keep Windows' antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials ?

Zenobia
2016-06-01, 07:08
There's no real need to disable Spybot Anti Virus, that's not real likely to conflict with anything.
The two things that are most likely to conflict are Microsoft Security Essentials real time protection and Spybot's Live Protection, as they are both basically real time scanners. So it would be best to choose one real-time scanner, and have the other one off. Microsoft Security Essentials likely already made that decision for you when it detected Spybot was installed by turning off it's own real time protection. You can follow this article to confirm that there is no checkmark present beside Turn on real time protection:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025707/how-to-temporarily-disable-microsoft-security-essentials.html

If that is what you prefer, to have Spybot's Live Protection as the real time scanner, then everything should be fine if Live Protection is already running. If you're unsure of that, then you can doublecheck that Live Protection is on by rightclicking Spybot Start Center, running as administrator, then viewing Live Protection staus.....here's a picture of Live Protection Status in this picture, it says Live Protection: ON:
https://www.safer-networking.org/wp-content/themes/spybot/images/glossary/start-center/start-center.png

If there are any problems along the way when checking these things, please let me know, and I'll help as best I can. :)

tashi
2016-06-01, 07:11
Hello tibileo,

This page contains information regarding Live Protection:
https://www.safer-networking.org/?s=live+protection&lang=en

For instance,
"Live Protection is a Spybot feature which monitors all processes created or running on your system and scans them. Malicious processes are blocked even before they start.

If you have another antivirus engine running which also includes Live Protection, Real-Time Protection or some other equivalent, this should be disabled in either Spybot or your other antivirus as running more than one can cause issues."

Best regards.