PDA

View Full Version : www_getwindowinfo/ is taking over Chrome - auto-spawning new Tabs

curemi2
2014-04-26, 18:00
I am stuck and I really need some help. It is related to www_getwindowinfo/

When Chrome is open, new Tabs are spontaneously opened, seeking to goto: www_getwindowinfo/ A new Tab spawns open about every 3 seconds. If I close Chrome (either closing the program using the X in the upper right-hand corner or by going to Task Manager and killing the Program or Process), a new Chrome window will automatically be generated, again looking for www_getwindowinfo/ (and also spawning new Tabs).

The only thing that seems to keep Chrome from spawning new windows and/or Tabs is if I open Internet Explorer. IE seems to run just fine, with note of the problematic issues. As soon as I open IE, any/all Chrome windows stop spawning www_getwindowinfo/ Tabs. Very odd - leading me to believe that www_getwindowinfo/ is only effecting Chrome.

I have tried the following to fix the problem/eliminate www_getwindowinfo/:

- Spybot Seach and Destroy (lastest update)

- CCleaner (latest update)

- uninstalling/reinstalling Chrome (latest version)

None of these options worked, as I got the exact same problem (as described above) after the attempt.

Also, after the initial infection, I went to Programs and uninstalled all of the unwanted programs that were downloaded/installed as part of the malware's immediate infection. Right now, the OS is not showing any undesirable software in its program list. (but eliminating these programs did not solve the aforementioned problem).

Note: I am not seeing any pop-up ads or the such.

I have also done research on various blogs about how to remove www_getwindowinfo/. Most of the answers there suggest doing a Registry edit to remove unwanted reg files, or reg files with changed values. I have searched for such reg entries and do not see ones that match what has been listed in the blogs/sites as the offending files.

I have not yet restarted my computer. I am running the following:

- Window 7 Pro (Version 6.1 Build 7601: Service Pack 1

- Chrome Version 34.0.1847.131 m

Please help

christopher

tashi
2014-04-26, 18:17
Hello curemi2, :greeting:

In case you missed it please see the FAQ which also includes guidelines for this forum and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the preliminary DDS and aswMBR logs used for analysis.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Then start a new topic providing the DDS and aswMBR logs as shown in that sticky with a link back to this thread and a volunteer analyst will advise when available. :)

Best regards.