PDA

View Full Version : Definitions update

alicez
2014-06-11, 19:34
#1- Was there a definitions update today (Wed. 6/11/2014)?

#2- Also, I have not had any immuniztion updates for quite a while. Is that true?

Zenobia
2014-06-11, 20:32
1.Yes,there was,my logfile is showing updates were downloaded today.
2.Probably,there may not have been any immunizations released this week,though I don't know for sure:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?70483-Immunize-Never-Finds-Unprotected-Items

drghughes
2014-06-11, 20:48
When I check with v1.6.2 it says that there are no updates available. Have you forgotten to provide those updates?

alicez
2014-06-11, 21:06
1.Yes,there was,my logfile is showing updates were downloaded today.
2.Probably,there may not have been any immunizations released this week,though I don't know for sure:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?70483-Immunize-Never-Finds-Unprotected-Items

I am getting same response as drghughes, "No newer updates available." Last update was 6/5/2014.

onDvine
2014-06-11, 22:11
I'm encountering the same thing and have the same questions as those above.

Lancer
2014-06-11, 22:41
Well, today I received an update for Spybot 2.3.39 portable on one system, and none for Spybot 1.62 portable on another system. Has Safer stopped supporting the older version? Or is it just a glitch?

alicez
2014-06-12, 00:48
And response/solution yet regarding the "no definitions download for Wed. 6/10/14?"

Zenobia
2014-06-12, 03:28
Oh,I have no idea what's going on with that.I have the new version.
There were definitions released,they're listed on the updates page:
http://www.safer-networking.org/about/updates/

Has Safer stopped supporting the older version? Or is it just a glitch?
I have no idea,but I can't imagine support for Spybot 1.6.2 being stopped without some sort of announcement,so my guess would be some kind of glitch. :)

Zenobia
2014-06-12, 03:58
I downloaded manual updates last Friday,and it looks like the MD5 sum on the manual detection updates is different from the one I downloaded,so they should be the manual detection updates from today:
http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/

Though Spybot 1.6.2 users should possibly wait to see why Spybot 1.6.2 didn't get updates today,perhaps the updates were incompatible with 1.6.2 or something along those lines,so a Team Spybot comment is probably needed first.

Cartel
2014-06-12, 10:37
I downloaded manual updates last Friday,and it looks like the MD5 sum on the manual detection updates is different from the one I downloaded,so they should be the manual detection updates from today:

Though Spybot 1.6.2 users should possibly wait to see why Spybot 1.6.2 didn't get updates today,perhaps the updates were incompatible with 1.6.2 or something along those lines,so a Team Spybot comment is probably needed first.

I just installed 1.6.2 and cant scan because I have 0 definitions...

Cartel
2014-06-12, 10:57
I just installed 1.6.2 and cant scan because I have 0 definitions...

I found this: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?19150-Spybot-Manual-update-How-to-do-it-pls&p=127981&viewfull=1#post127981

and was able to update

(m/f)
2014-06-12, 11:09
Version 1.6 is still supported. The updates were uploaded yesterday and there was no hint that something was wrong. As the "normal" update for 1.6 did not work for some of you, please try the manual update and post if this worked. We will investigate this further. Thank you.

onDvine
2014-06-12, 17:18
... please try the manual update and post if this worked. ...
The manual update appears to have worked.

Cartel
2014-06-12, 18:02
I reinstalled sb and this time selected "download updates immediately" and it did connect.
Some of the ignore products list say "dummy" and "scanning download directories" though..

alicez
2014-06-12, 19:04

Does someone from SpyBot look at these messages? Is someone from SpyBot investigating this "problem?" If not, how do we forward this "incident" to them?

Zenobia
2014-06-12, 19:52
Does someone from SpyBot look at these messages? Is someone from SpyBot investigating this "problem?" If not, how do we forward this "incident" to them?
Yes,(m/f) posted just above,read his/her post here. :)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?70656-Definitions-update&p=453848&viewfull=1#post453848

alicez
2014-06-12, 23:39
I reinstalled sb and this time selected "download updates immediately" and it did connect.
Some of the ignore products list say "dummy" and "scanning download directories" though..

Where do you see "download updates immediately" in 1.6.2? Is that definition updates or new version update?

drghughes
2014-06-13, 01:52
Where do you see "download updates immediately" in 1.6.2? Is that definition updates or new version update?

It's part of the installation process, it's not part of Spybot.

alicez
2014-06-13, 03:36
It's part of the installation process, it's not part of Spybot.

So will we ever be able to download the definition updates for 1.6.2 (other than doing it manually)? Several people I know have said they also have not been able to download new definition updates for their 1.6.2, which they have always liked very much and now they are confused about not being able to download the newest updates.

antdude
2014-06-13, 05:37
My two v1.6.2 installations get any updates for this week's so far. Last updates were on 6/4/2014 morning PDT.

drghughes
2014-06-13, 17:56
Version 1.6 is still supported. The updates were uploaded yesterday and there was no hint that something was wrong. As the "normal" update for 1.6 did not work for some of you, please try the manual update and post if this worked. We will investigate this further. Thank you.

The manual update appears to have worked - when I check Spybot it shows that the definitions are now for 11 June 2014.

What have your investigations shown?

antdude
2014-06-13, 18:46
I wonder if SpyBot company decided to stop providing automatic updates through/via its internal updater and forces us to manual updates. :(

alicez
2014-06-14, 03:17
It has been three days now and I am still not getting the regular update for 1.6. What is happening? Does anyone know? I would like to continue using 1.6, but don't know if that will be possible now. I would rather not update to the next version 2 at this time. Maybe I will try another program.

onDvine
2014-06-14, 04:15
... What is happening? Does anyone know? ...
See Posts #11 and #12 at the top of Page 2 in this thread.

alicez
2014-06-14, 05:47
See Posts #11 and #12 at the top of Page 2 in this thread.

I saw them but they don't tell me if anything is being done about this 'update' problem for 1.6.2 or whether it is being "worked on."

Lancer
2014-06-15, 00:07
I still get no updates available.

alicez
2014-06-15, 00:17
I still get no updates available.

As I previously posted, I am still waiting for an update for my .5.2. I don't even know if anyone at SB is working on this and what the latest news is. But it would be nice to know what is going on and whether we will ever be able to download the regular update via our 1.6.2 (which I have used and liked for a long time). If I don't hear anything in next day I will start looking for a replacement program. I installed the 2.2 on my old notebook and it said it found 69 exceptions (while 1.6.2 found zero exceptions on that notebook). I just don't like 2.2. Too complicated for me and it has changed a lot from the 1.6.2 version.

drghughes
2014-06-15, 05:14
If I don't hear anything in next day I will start looking for a replacement program.

I wouldn't count on hearing anything from Spybot. In my experience they are terrible at keeping users informed in situations like this - the only chance that we will hear anything definitive is if PepiMK decides to get involved. I think that the best thing to do is to wait until Wednesday and see what happens. If the problem is still there then that might be the time to move to another programme.

I installed the 2.2 on my old notebook and it said it found 69 exceptions (while 1.6.2 found zero exceptions on that notebook). I just don't like 2.2. Too complicated for me and it has changed a lot from the 1.6.2 version.

Like you, I'm still on v1.6.2 so I can't comment directly on the new version. But if I recall correctly, v2.x finds exceptions where v1.6.2 doesn't because by default it treats cookies as problems. To exclude cookies, see http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?70637-Spybot-removes-passwords&p=453616&viewfull=1#post453616

alicez
2014-06-15, 05:52
I wouldn't count on hearing anything from Spybot. In my experience they are terrible at keeping users informed in situations like this - the only chance that we will hear anything definitive is if PepiMK decides to get involved. I think that the best thing to do is to wait until Wednesday and see what happens. If the problem is still there then that might be the time to move to another programme.

Like you, I'm still on v1.6.2 so I can't comment directly on the new version. But if I recall correctly, v2.x finds exceptions where v1.6.2 doesn't because by default it treats cookies as problems. To exclude cookies, see http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?70637-Spybot-removes-passwords&p=453616&viewfull=1#post453616

Thanks for letting me know someone else is experiencing the same thing. I did go to that page you suggested and I notice it mentioned "cookies" and "passwords."
BTW: Is there a TeaTimer in 2.2? If so, how do I disable? Wow, is this all so confusing.

Zenobia
2014-06-15, 07:38
There is no teatimer in the Spybot 2.3 free edition. :)

alicez
2014-06-15, 18:08
There is no teatimer in the Spybot 2.3 free edition. :)

Thank you. What about SB 2.2?
If yes, how do I disable?

Zenobia
2014-06-15, 21:42
You're welcome. :)
No,there is no teatimer in Spybot 2.2 free version,either.Teatimer was ended with Spybot 1.6.2.
Spybot 2.2 is quite similar to Spybot 2.3,so Spybot 2.3 would be better to use compared to Spybot 2.2,since 2.3 is the latest.

If you prefer to stay with Spybot 1.6.2,then you could do that,though.I'm guessing that whatever happened with the definition updates not downloading for some people with Spybot 1.6.2 might be fixed by Wednesday,next week.

People here have been saying that last weeks manual updates worked.If you haven't downloaded them,and would like to try it,I can help you with where you install the manual updates to,if you would like that.Just let me know which computer you're on.

Lancer
2014-06-16, 02:42
Thank you for an explanation about the update situation, Zenobia. :2thumb:

Zenobia
2014-06-16, 05:21
You're welcome,but keep in mind I'm only guessing that it might be fixed by Wednesday. :)

Wolf76
2014-06-16, 08:22
I've got a partial similar and partial different problem, and the FAQ seems not so helpfull as I hoped:

I recently purchased the Professional Edition of Spaybot including AntiVirus - and now I'm having probs with downloading AV-Definitions for 3 days. Malware ist okay and the downloads are successfully installed but the troubles are with AV-Definitions.

Does anyone know something about that?

Or shall I better make a new fred?:sad::lip:

Thank you for your patience

Wolf

Lancer
2014-06-16, 21:09
You're welcome,but keep in mind I'm only guessing that it might be fixed by Wednesday. :)
ten-four

manderley3
2014-06-18, 15:07
I am using 1.6.2 and I have the same issue that people are reporting here namely that the definition files have not updated for the past 2 weeks. I get a message saying that there are no updates available. To day I manually updated the definition update file from your website. Would this file that I have manually updated include all the updates for the past 2 weeks or is the file just a 1 week update? Another note, the Immunization has not found anything to immunize for about the past 12 months. Is this normal/correct?
Thanks.

antdude
2014-06-18, 16:03
My two v1.6.2 installations get any updates for this week's so far. Last updates were on 6/4/2014 morning PDT.I got one internal update today as of a few minutes ago. :)

alicez
2014-06-18, 16:48
I just received 1 update today and hope that everything is now okay for now and in the future.

antdude
2014-06-18, 18:59
I just received 1 update today and hope that everything is now okay for now and in the future.I hope so too, but who knows how long v1.6.2 will stay supported. It is pretty old, and I am still surprised that it is still supported.

Lancer
2014-06-19, 06:05
I updated 1.6.2 through the UI today. All is well. Thanks all. :bigthumb:

manderley3
2014-07-16, 14:34
Have the definitions been updated today?

antdude
2014-07-16, 15:35
They might be late again due to a holiday, issues, or whatever. It happened before. :( Maybe they will say something. ;)

drghughes
2014-07-16, 21:45

I can't get updates for v1.6.2.

There are updates for today listed at http://www.safer-networking.org/about/updates/ so it looks like something has gone wrong again.

antdude
2014-07-16, 22:06
I can't get updates for v1.6.2.

There are updates for today listed at http://www.safer-networking.org/about/updates/ so it looks like something has gone wrong again.Ahhh, this again? Yeah, two/2 of my of my old v1.6.2 installations don't see the updates again. :(

onDvine
2014-07-16, 23:57
Had to install updates manually again on both computers here. That worked fine. :)

manderley3
2014-07-16, 23:59
Decided to go to the web site and update from there again this week.

antdude
2014-07-17, 00:01
Had to install updates manually again on both computers here. That worked fine. :)I am not surprised. I will wait for the internal updater. ;)

alicez
2014-07-17, 01:45
No updates again this week for 1.6.2? Are we going to have to keep checking every day to see if updates are available? Or is SpyBot closing down the 1.6.2 updates for us who are still using it? Anyone know for sure?

antdude
2014-07-17, 01:54
No updates again this week for 1.6.2? Are we going to have to keep checking every day to see if updates are available? Or is SpyBot closing down the 1.6.2 updates for us who are still using it? Anyone know for sure?The last time this happened, we v1.6.2 users had to wait a week later IIRC.

Lancer
2014-07-17, 02:36
Here we go again. <yawn>

antdude
2014-07-17, 02:48
Here we go again. <yawn>Yep! :)

alicez
2014-07-17, 19:24
Still no update for 1.6.2 and no word from SB.
Does anyone know if there is a good substitute for SB? I don't think these updates are going to improve or continue and I can't waste my time coming back each day to see if there is an update. I think the best thing for me to do is give up on SB (after all these years) and try another program.
Maybe SuperAntiSpyware?

antdude
2014-07-17, 19:34
Still no update for 1.6.2 and no word from SB.
Does anyone know if there is a good substitute for SB? I don't think these updates are going to improve or continue and I can't waste my time coming back each day to see if there is an update. I think the best thing for me to do is give up on SB (after all these years) and try another program.
Maybe SuperAntiSpyware?SAS, MBAM, etc. are good but they don't have immunizations like Spybot. Don't bother to check daily. Just do it every Wednesdays even if there are no updates for v1.6.2. I will check mine again next Wednesday since this happened before. :/

alicez
2014-07-17, 22:22
SAS, MBAM, etc. are good but they don't have immunizations like Spybot. Don't bother to check daily. Just do it every Wednesdays even if there are no updates for v1.6.2. I will check mine again next Wednesday since this happened before. :/

Thank you. By SAS I presume you mean "SuperAntiSpyware."
If I am not mistaken, it has been a long time since SpyBot updated the immunization files. Usually it was almost every week or so, but haven't seen that in quite a long time; so they might not even be doing that any longer with the updates to 1.6.2.

I already have MalwareBytes but they also updated to a new version, which I am not foo happy with. For me, not as easy to use as the previous version.
Sometimes when they upgrade, they make things worse - that is only my opinion. "If it's not broken -don't fix it," has always my motto. As a Septuagenarian, I am not able to keep up to date with all these upgrades and changes.
I also have Spyware Blaster.

antdude
2014-07-17, 22:35
Thank you. By SAS I presume you mean "SuperAntiSpyware."
If I am not mistaken, it has been a long time since SpyBot updated the immunization files. Usually it was almost every week or so, but haven't seen that in quite a long time; so they might not even be doing that any longer with the updates to 1.6.2.

I already have MalwareBytes but they also updated to a new version, which I am not foo happy with. For me, not as easy to use as the previous version.
Sometimes when they upgrade, they make things worse - that is only my opinion. "If it's not broken -don't fix it," has always my motto. As a Septuagenarian, I am not able to keep up to date with all these upgrades and changes.
I also have Spyware Blaster.Yes for SAS. I am also not happy with the new MBAM version too. It takes too long to do a quick scan from my right click in Windows Explorers! :( Notice I still use old versions of MBAM, SpyBot, etc. As long as they still get updated, I am going to keep using them!

Is Spyware Blaster free and can do ondemand scan and clean (no annoying memory residents)?

alicez
2014-07-17, 23:31
Yes for SAS. I am also not happy with the new MBAM version too. It takes too long to do a quick scan from my right click in Windows Explorers! :( Notice I still use old versions of MBAM, SpyBot, etc. As long as they still get updated, I am going to keep using them!

Is Spyware Blaster free and can do ondemand scan and clean (no annoying memory residents)?

https://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html

All I know is that it runs in the "background," with no scanning, etc., needed. I update whenever I remember to do so.

I guess you are the same as me with regard to the upgrades. I had the automatic upgrade checked on my Win7 for the MBAM and it automatically upgraded to the new version, which I do not like. My Vista still has the previous MBAM and I too will keep it as long as it updates. The new one is just too "bloated" for my needs. I guess these free versions are always trying to get you to buy the paid-for versions.

alicez
2014-07-19, 03:14
Does anyone know if SB staff read these messages?
It would be nice to hear what they have to say about the 'weekly' definitions for 1.6.2. Whether they are available only every two weeks now, or what.

drghughes
2014-07-19, 16:29
Does anyone know if SB staff read these messages?
It would be nice to hear what they have to say about the 'weekly' definitions for 1.6.2. Whether they are available only every two weeks now, or what.

If you're asking about this thread, my guess is that they're ignoring it and hoping that it goes away.

If you're asking about the forum, well Zenobia posted a reply just over an hour after your post above, so yes.

Why Zenobia isn't escalating this problem for us is anyone's guess. Zenobia?

alicez
2014-07-19, 17:39
If you're asking about this thread, my guess is that they're ignoring it and hoping that it goes away.
(Yes, I'm asking about this thread.)

If you're asking about the forum, well Zenobia posted a reply just over an hour after your post above, so yes.

(Where might that post be?)

I would also like to know why someone isn't looking into this 'problem.'

onDvine
2014-07-19, 17:52
That post is here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?70833-Update-function-corrupted-or-disabled&p=455262&highlight=#post455262

Zenobia
2014-07-19, 22:35

Hey,there. :)
The reason I didn't reply to this thread is because I don't know why some Spybot 1.6.2 users didn't get updates on Wednesday.I read it,and assume that it might be the same reason you guys didn't get updates the first time it happened,but I don't know for sure,so me posting anything about it would be a lie.
I did check that the manual update was a new one,and it appears to be.I looked on the Spybot facebook page to see if anything about the updates was there,and there wasn't.

I can't escalate a problem.I'm a Spybot user,just like you are,only I've used it for a very long time,know very well how it works,and help out wherever I can.In general,I have no more knowledge about definition updates or anything like that then anybody else does.
I can make some guesses,though(keep in mind they are guesses only).This is the weekend,and most of Team Spybot is not available on the weekend.They probably know about this thread,though,either they read it themselves,or tashi told them(tashi is almost always on top of these types of things,she's whole bunches of wonderful.) :)
Also,just because there has been no reply in this thread does not necessarily mean that the problem isn't being looked at or fixed,so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

antdude
2014-07-23, 12:43
And works again in v1.6.2 until next time. :P

drghughes
2014-07-28, 13:26
I've received a message that Spybot has found and fixed a couple of problems, so here's hoping that updates for v1.6.2 work as expected from now on.

Note that as part of the fix, there is a special v1.6.2 update available today.

antdude
2014-07-28, 16:37
I've received a message that Spybot has found and fixed a couple of problems, so here's hoping that updates for v1.6.2 work as expected from now on.

Note that as part of the fix, there is a special v1.6.2 update available today.
Thanks! :)

onDvine
2014-07-30, 20:29
I changed to version 2.4 (free) last week but can't get it to update today. It indicates my definitions from last week are the latest though they're not. Suggestions, please?

onDvine
2014-07-30, 21:29
It took some tinkering but finally got today's update.

alicez
2014-08-15, 02:07
And works again in v1.6.2 until next time. :P

Did you, or are you going to, update to version 2.4? I'm getting mixed reviews about the SpyBot program and whether or not it is worth keeping. What are you doing?
I am now getting the weekly updates for the 1.6.2 (but wonder how long that will continue?), but no immunizations.

alicez
2014-08-27, 21:46
SAS, MBAM, etc. are good but they don't have immunizations like Spybot. Don't bother to check daily. Just do it every Wednesdays even if there are no updates for v1.6.2. I will check mine again next Wednesday since this happened before. :/

AFAICT There have been no immunization updates in the past several weeks for the 1.6.2 and I am thinking maybe they do not include "immunizations" any longer for 1.6.2.

Anyone know for sure what is happening with immunizations for 1.6.2?

antdude
2014-08-27, 21:58
AFAICT There have been no immunization updates in the past several weeks for the 1.6.2 and I am thinking maybe they do not include "immunizations" any longer for 1.6.2.

Anyone know for sure what is happening with immunizations for 1.6.2?Weeks? More like many months for me. Does v2 even get immunization updates?

alicez
2014-08-28, 02:25
Weeks? More like many months for me. Does v2 even get immunization updates?

You are right. I was referring to no immunizations since the last time we had the problem with SB updating the definitions a few weeks ago. But I remember before that "fiasco," there were no immunization updates either and so I kind of think SB is not giving us the immunization updates any longer. Slowly but surely I guess we will either have to upgrade to the new version (which I am not eager to do) or seek another program in place of SB.

antdude
2014-08-28, 02:31
You are right. I was referring to no immunizations since the last time we had the problem with SB updating the definitions a few weeks ago. But I remember before that "fiasco," there were no immunization updates either and so I kind of think SB is not giving us the immunization updates any longer. Slowly but surely I guess we will either have to upgrade to the new version (which I am not eager to do) or seek another program in place of SB.Yeah. I don't know if v2 even gets weekly immunization updates.

AplusWebMaster
2015-04-09, 18:56
There -were- NEW def updates posted yesterday:

- http://www.safer-networking.org/about/updates/
2015-04-08
Adware
++ Ad.Cinmus + Ad.Shopperz + Firseria + Inbox.Toolbar
PUPS
++ NNavigator ++ Omniboxes + OutBrowse ++ PU.WxDestroy
Trojan
+ Win32.Downloader.HicrazykA ++ Win32.Hook
Total: 2605491 fingerprints in 816359 rules for 7435 products.

Something somewhere is HOSED - 'Just dunno where. I believe we need an authoritative answer from someone/somewhere.

:fear::fear: :confused:

AplusWebMaster
2015-04-10, 13:22
This problem has been escalated and the SBS&D webmaster has been informed ...

No idea what the response time will be so we'll just have to wait and see.

:fear:

AplusWebMaster
2015-04-10, 16:29
'Just tried a few systems and it now appears to be working... but mine is a small sample.

So if those in this thread who have already posted could post their "Yea or Nay" results now, that would be helpful.

Please feel free to do so.

:spider:

jjul130
2015-04-21, 19:14
trying to get updates (france)
but nothing

Updates.log :
[i] 15-04-21 15:21:05 THttpUpdateDaemon HTTP daemon on port 21321 closed.
[+] 15-04-21 18:46:37 THttpUpdateDaemon Background Updating Service got started...
[i] 15-04-21 18:46:37 THttpUpdateDaemon Listening on port 21321
[i] 15-04-21 18:46:37 THttpUpdateDaemon Successfully started listening on port 21321.

http://127.0.0.1:21331/start doesn't work
Nothing on background too.

Win7 64bits + avira + glasswire (in case it can help)

AplusWebMaster
2015-04-21, 19:34
... trying to get updates (france)

Yeah, well - that's why there are many to choose from - try another. Tomorrow - for an updated def [Wednesdays].

:spider: