PDA

View Full Version : Mshell: possible spyware?

jumpjack
2006-09-02, 22:11
I found this very interesting development tool for UIQ:
http://www.m-shell.ch/Documentation/manuals.aspx

But I am very worried about it: program is able to send SMS, to fully access filesystem (read/write), and to activate applications upon receving proper SMS.

By sure it COULD be used to write harmful applications, BUT is it BY ITSELF harmful?
Can Spybot S&D detect if in some manner the program is waiting for SMS activation even if no script is running?

Currently I am not yet able to start the program on my UIQ phone, although it should be compatible; but as it's very powerful I really would like to buy it... But I can't, if it IS harmful!

Another strange (and suspect) thing is that to activate the program even freeware version, you need to send an SMS to tha author... who then will know your phone number and can send any SMS to your phone...

tashi
2006-09-03, 18:19
Currently I am not yet able to start the program on my UIQ phone, although it should be compatible; but as it's very powerful I really would like to buy it... But I can't, if it IS harmful!
I have not seen reports on this program (perhaps one of our members has information they could share) but if you have problems starting it why consider purchasing? :)

At the bottom of the web page there is information you could Google:

For instance:infowing.ch=
hxxp://www.infowing.ch/web/de/welcome/ (url disabled as I prefer not to link to cell phone sites)

Another strange (and suspect) thing is that to activate the program even freeware version, you need to send an SMS to tha author... who then will know your phone number and can send any SMS to your phone...

Personally I wouldn't send a SMS to anyone I didn't know.

FYI:
Spybot-S&D for Windows Mobile
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/wince/index.html

jumpjack
2006-09-03, 18:24
I have not seen reports on this program (perhaps one of our members has information they could share) but if you have problems starting it why consider purchasing? :)

Because it is the most powerful on-board development enviroment availabe for my phone!