PDA

View Full Version : Performance and cpu use

hfineberg
2014-08-04, 17:31
Most people complain about too high a use of the cpu when scanning. My complaint is the opposite.

On an Asus netbook I'm on Win7 Starter, 2Gb.

When I ran the scanner it was using only 3% cpu and the run time was nearly 2 hours.

Nothing else was using cpu. Why did it use so little cpu? And is there a way to make it use more for a shorter scan time?

By comparison I also have a Toshiba laptop, Win7 64bit Pro with an SSD. The scan is running now using 25% cpu with an estimated time of about 30 minutes. That seems very reasonable.

What determines how it uses the cpu and can I control it?

Thanks

tashi
2014-08-07, 05:59
Hello hfineberg,

Which version of Spybot do you have installed please: http://www.safer-networking.org/shop/

tashi

hfineberg
2014-08-07, 14:02
Hello hfineberg,

Which version of Spybot do you have installed please: http://www.safer-networking.org/shop/

tashi

Sorry - of course I should have told you that.

I was using 2.2.25 but saw that there is a newer version 2.4.40, which I have now installed on both systems.

I ran System Scan again on both systems with interesting results.

On the Win7 64bit Pro it was the same: about 25% cpu and run time about 30 minutes.

On the Win7 Starter it used 25-30% cpu and run time more than an hour. On the previous version it was using only 3%.

I appreciate that the Pro system is more powerful than the Starter (2.6GHz-v-1.6Ghz) and also has an SSD so would expect it to have a shorter runtime.

But my question is still: can I influence the cpu utilisation if I know that nothing else is running at the same time? That could apply to both systems.

Thanks,

Harold

tashi
2014-08-07, 23:14
Hello Harold,

I was using 2.2.25 but saw that there is a newer version 2.4.40, which I have now installed on both systems.

I ran System Scan again on both systems with interesting results.

On the Win7 64bit Pro it was the same: about 25% cpu and run time about 30 minutes.

On the Win7 Starter it used 25-30% cpu and run time more than an hour. On the previous version it was using only 3%.

I appreciate that the Pro system is more powerful than the Starter (2.6GHz-v-1.6Ghz) and also has an SSD so would expect it to have a shorter runtime.

But my question is still: can I influence the cpu utilisation if I know that nothing else is running at the same time? That could apply to both systems.

25-30% cpu doesn't seem excessive when a scan is running, and scan times can vary depending on the machine.

Some users have reported a slow laptop scan and then found out the inside of the machine was dusty, it's hard to say if one isn't sitting at the computer in question. :kboard:

tashi

hfineberg
2014-08-08, 00:10
Hello Harold,

25-30% cpu doesn't seem excessive when a scan is running, and scan times can vary depending on the machine.

Some users have reported a slow laptop scan and then found out the inside of the machine was dusty, it's hard to say if one isn't sitting at the computer in question. :kboard:

tashi

Thanks, tashi. but you misunderstand my point. It's not that '25-30% cpu doesn't seem excessive'. As my original post said, if my system is otherwise idle can I get it to use _more_ cpu so that the scan runs for a shorter time? As my original post said 'Most people complain about too high a use of the cpu when scanning. My complaint is the opposite.'

tashi
2014-08-13, 08:05
Hello hfineberg,

Thanks, tashi. but you misunderstand my point. It's not that '25-30% cpu doesn't seem excessive'. As my original post said, if my system is otherwise idle can I get it to use _more_ cpu so that the scan runs for a shorter time? As my original post said 'Most people complain about too high a use of the cpu when scanning. My complaint is the opposite.'

Yes your complaint is unusual, this topic at tomshardware might shed some light: How can I use maximum cpu capacity for an application (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/57576-63-maximum-capacity-application)

Best regards.

hfineberg
2014-08-13, 20:35
Hello hfineberg,

Yes your complaint is unusual, this topic at tomshardware might shed some light: How can I use maximum cpu capacity for an application (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/57576-63-maximum-capacity-application)

Best regards.

OK Tashi. Thanks for that link. Thread closed!