PDA

View Full Version : Fix Selected not working

jamone
2014-08-15, 12:19
I upgraded to Version 2.4 today, and after scanning my system for more than 90 minutes, it found 49 problems.

I clicked the "Fix Selected" button, with all 49 problems selected, and nothing.

It simply does nothing.

Is there a fix for this?

Zenobia
2014-08-16, 10:18
Absolutely nothing,the window doesn't show 'Not Responding',or anything like that?No errors? :)

OldGit66
2015-03-03, 16:28
I too have this problem the programme fails to respond to fix selected and eventually Windows Vista errors out . I have made another post in a second thread that seems to describe the same problem. I will copy and paste this to this thread.
OldGit66

OldGit66
2015-03-03, 16:32
Hi again,

here is the second very similar theme http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?72057-SD-Version-2-4-very-slow-to-fix-selected-problems&highlight=fix+selected+not+working

In none of the two themes is a remedy suggested apart from going back to v1.6 ( by the person seeking advice)

Thanks for looking and any help that you can give.
OldGit66

OldGit66
2015-03-03, 17:42
Re the above: When "fix selected" is working ( I should have said that the fault is intermittent ) the scan produces malware/cookies etc. that have been preselected i.e. already ticked and fix selected works ok producing the green ticks. I may be wrong, but as I am unused to ticking the boxes on the results page, I don't remember having to tick them in the failed run. What I am saying is that if sometime results are produced that have not been preselected and I don't tick them then that may be part of the problem.

I have had two runs today the first failed as reported but the second worked ok with preselected faults.

I hope that this helps.

OldGit66

Zenobia
2015-03-04, 03:14
If some items on the results list aren't preselected,a quick way to select everything is to rightclick somewhere in the window and select all.

Do you find that you get fix selected "Not responding" when there are quite a few things to be fixed? :)

virusvictim
2015-03-04, 04:22
I don't know about the others but I' haven't been able to get Spybot to fix anything in a long time. Every time I run a scan then tell it to fix, it always gets stuck (not responding). It will just sit there like that forever until I finally click the X to stop the program and exit. I noticed there are some Trojan viruses that seem to be hiding in C:\$Recycle Bin\S-1-5-18\... which must be hidden as I can't find anything like that. :confused:

OldGit66
2015-03-04, 16:26
To Zenobia:Thanks for the right click tip. I did not know that some things are NOT preselected and that I have to select them separately so that could be my problem with the system hanging. Because this is an intermittent problem I haven't been able, as yet, to typify it but it is my belief that it fails when I have a lot of things to fix. I will continue to watch the problem and report back here.

To virusvictim: I am luckier than you, in that S&D works most of the time. I will check my recycle bin address and report back here if I find anything.

I thank you both for replying and encourage other readers to contribute.

OldGit66

OldGit66
2015-03-04, 21:38
Virusvictim: I cannot find C:\$recycle bin\ etc. in my pc. If its a virus I have Malwarebytes and other anti virus stuff and they are not detecting anything.

OldGit66

OldGit66
2015-03-04, 23:11
Hi,
I ran S&D again this evening and it identified 9 Cookies and Tracks etc.
When I selected fix selected (after checking that they were all ticked) It took a full 10 minutes to effect the fix. It does not always take that long. I am stumped.

OldGit66

Zenobia
2015-03-05, 23:30
Yes,C:\$Recycle Bin\ is hidden by default.
Access is usually denied if you try to open the S-1-5-18(will be similar,but not exactly named on anybody else's computer,for anybody else reading this)That folder is a normal part of windows,so you shouldn't attempt to remove those folders if you find them,virusvictim.What could be happening is that probably the path to the malware is showing partially within Spybot,and the actual malware may likely be in the recycle bin.It's also possible the malware is in another account's recycle bin,if you have more than one account on your computer.If you don't store anything important within the recycle bin,you could try emptying your recycle bin.Let me know if that helps any,please. :)

I did not know that some things are NOT preselected and that I have to select them separately so that could be my problem with the system hanging.
Usually,everything is pre-selected by default,but sometimes if you uncheck some things after a scan,Spybot seems to remember it,or some variation of that. :)
Some other things that I've noticed seem to help along "Fix Selected":
shut down any non-essential things running before a Spybot scan.
if a large amount of items are found during the scan,uncheck a few things to be fixed,press fix selected,then rescan for the rest later.
Cut out scanning for tracks temporarily:Open Start Center,checkmark Advanced User Mode,click Settings,click the Categories tab,then somewhere within the window,rightclick and select Spyware scan only.

OldGit66
2015-03-05, 23:38
Thanks Zenobia I will follow your instructions. Can you say what you mean by a "large amount". Usually I get less than 50 hits would you consider that a large amount?
I will keep on with this and post back here if I find anything. I am currently scanning the system with the Microsoft Malicious Software Tool but that will take some time.

Thanks again
John (OldGit66)

OldGit66
2015-03-06, 21:35
Hi,
to rule out any problems due to Malware I have to report that Todays Malwarebytes scan detected nothing. Also I ran a full scan with Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (18+hours c5m files scanned) and no malware was detected.

I will continue observing and report back here.

john (OldGit66)

Zenobia
2015-03-07, 06:12
No,50 isn't a lot. :)

OldGit66
2015-03-07, 18:43
OK thanks zenobia. No further problems to report after several runs working ok.

John

Zenobia
2015-03-07, 20:49
Okay,good. :)

OldGit66
2015-03-07, 23:54
Hi I ran a scan and got 30 hits mainly Tracker cookies, browser cookies and Browser cache. This time I checked that all 30 has been selected (black tick) and clicked fix selected. After 10 minutes nothing had happened with the explorer blue circle showing that the program was still running. Some time later the blue circle had stopped but there were no green ticks beside the hits so I clicked fix selected again. This time after 20 minutes the green ticks appeared on all the hits that were on the screen but the blue circle was still running. I could not check the off screen hits as the up and down page was not working. Then the Windows programme not responding offered the chance to close the programme and I did. I found this in Problems and sloutions
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.0.6002.18005
Application Timestamp: 49e01da5
Fault Module Name: SHELL32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.19070
Fault Module Timestamp: 533183ed
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003f2b0
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 246040039

I do not know if this helps to typify the fault but I will continue to report here if anything else happens.

Thanks
John

Zenobia
2015-03-09, 01:40
This is some info for you with whatever I found with the info provided with the appcrash.I know it doesn't give the reason why there's a crash when Fix Selected is pressed,but it is some info in any case. :)
Exception Code: c0000005 should be the code for an access violation.The gist of what I'm seeing is that a program is accessing (either reading or writing) a memory address to which it does not have rights.

This is info on the faulting module name and what it is:
http://process.iamnotageek.com/Shell32.dll.php
I'll post that just for the info provided about Shell32.dll on the page,so you can see what it is.Please don't remove it or anything like that,it's a necessary file.

OldGit66
2015-03-12, 23:53
Hi Zenobia thanks for that but you are quite right I have not been able to figure out how I got an appcrash.

Tonight i ran another scan and got 28 hits all of them preselected. When I checked fix selected it took about 15 minutes and finally I got the green ticks ok. But when I tried to red x the results screen it would not be exited, eventually Windows allowed me to force close that problem. Something is wrong with this version it does not behave reliably.

Thanks zenobia
John

p.s. here is the problem and solutions page report

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: SDScan.exe
Application Version: 2.4.40.181
Application Timestamp: 535a5179
Hang Signature: 8cb2
Hang Type: 0
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Hang Signature 1: 11b06c64c194a8dd824e4dab8951de9b
Additional Hang Signature 2: 3c4f
Additional Hang Signature 3: badc703438ef75d7e3200f161f5648ff
Additional Hang Signature 4: 8cb2
Additional Hang Signature 5: 11b06c64c194a8dd824e4dab8951de9b
Additional Hang Signature 6: 3c4f
Additional Hang Signature 7: badc703438ef75d7e3200f161f5648ff

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 106416380

Zenobia
2015-03-13, 03:28
That shows that SDScan.exe hung.SDScan.exe is the Spybot Scanner itself.

I'm not able to decipher the other info,as that appears it might be program specific,and there is no other available information on Google:

Additional Hang Signature 1: 11b06c64c194a8dd824e4dab8951de9b
Additional Hang Signature 2: 3c4f
Additional Hang Signature 3: badc703438ef75d7e3200f161f5648ff
Additional Hang Signature 4: 8cb2
Additional Hang Signature 5: 11b06c64c194a8dd824e4dab8951de9b
Additional Hang Signature 6: 3c4f
Additional Hang Signature 7: badc703438ef75d7e3200f161f5648ff

Since this is happening sometimes,and other times not,I was wondering if you would be willing to do the next couple of scans in safe mode.There are instructions here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?3922-Spybot-Search-amp-Destroy-FAQs-and-Information&p=23629&viewfull=1#post23629
Since safe mode cuts out most programs that start with windows,if Spybot still acts up when fixing selected problems,that would (most likely) rule out any problems with any other heavy-duty programs running when you're scanning,etc.No need to run a special scan,just run a scan at the normal time you usually would,only run the scan in safe mode,that will give time for some stuff that needs to be fixed to build up.That should,hopefully,cut to the chase,and it will be easier to know where to go from there. :)

OldGit66
2015-03-13, 20:58
Hi Zenobia,

I just ran a scan which got 23 hits and all worked well with no hangs. I will try running in safe mode and see what happens. It may take some time for me to try this so I will be off air until then. You can msg me if you get tired of waiting. I am running BOINC projects 24/7 but they are throttled down so as not to interfere with my main stuff. I wonder if that is causing this?

John

Zenobia
2015-03-14, 00:39
I don't mind waiting,just post back whenever you're ready,no rush.And thanks for trying safe mode for me. :)

I am running BOINC projects 24/7 but they are throttled down so as not to interfere with my main stuff. I wonder if that is causing this?
Possibly not,since they're geared up not to interfere with your main stuff,but it's hard to tell. :)

OldGit66
2015-03-22, 20:12
Hi Zenobia,
I tried running in safe mode but it didn't make much difference as I still got the occasional hang ups.

I think that I have figured out what is happening. With the previous version I just clicked on fix selected and everything had the green ticks in a few seconds but with this version it sometimes takes minutes (recently 29 detections took 11 minutes) to fix and get the green ticks. Going by past experiences with S&D I must have been hitting fix selected whilst the system was still fixing and this led to the screen hanging and Windows coming in with the program is not responding. Whilst fix selected is working 2.4 does not allow you to minimise the screen so it can get a bit boring watching the same screen but I have learned to wait. This problem is still intermittent in that sometimes fix selected does go with its zing of old and fix the detections fairly rapidly.

I hope that this "fix" helps others to understand what is happening and to learn patience with the system. I will continue to post here if this is a false dawn.

Thanks
John

Zenobia
2015-03-22, 23:32
Okay,and thanks for posting. :)

DaveGos
2015-03-26, 19:37
Okay,and thanks for posting. :)

I am experiencing the same.
Have run two scans today, over an hour on each.
Resulted in lists of 50 odd things to remove.
Hit the fix link and on both occasions the fix failed with the app going into not responding mode - closing it ends with the message "malware scanner" failed.

This is the latest ver on a win 7 pro 64bit machine that is fully up to date.

LarryDaley
2015-03-26, 23:31
Used free version for years

but now with paid version all i get is:

The procedure entre point @Snidebug@Debuglogger could not be located in the dynamic link library snlBase150.bpl

Zenobia
2015-03-26, 23:38
Used free version for years

but now with paid version all i get is:

The procedure entre point @Snidebug@Debuglogger could not be located in the dynamic link library snlBase150.bpl

Please contact support.This is the page where you can do that. :)
http://www.safer-networking.org/support/

Zenobia
2015-03-26, 23:40
I am experiencing the same.
Have run two scans today, over an hour on each.
Resulted in lists of 50 odd things to remove.
Hit the fix link and on both occasions the fix failed with the app going into not responding mode - closing it ends with the message "malware scanner" failed.

This is the latest ver on a win 7 pro 64bit machine that is fully up to date.

Try rightclicking and selecting Deselect All,then go through and checkmark a few things,then hit fix selected,and see if it will fix without not responding. :)

LarryDaley
2015-03-26, 23:45
Please contact support.This is the page where you can do that. :)
http://www.safer-networking.org/support/

Thanks

Zenobia
2015-03-27, 02:11
You're welcome. :)

OldGit66
2015-06-29, 18:17
Hi Spybotters,

there seems to be an awful lot of themes on the forum to the effect that "Spybot freezes after fix selected". I think that I may have found the answer. Normal MS left click is a double click however that produces the freeze as described above. If you only give ONE LEFT CLICK Then it seems to work ok.

I hope that this works ok for all those freeze states.

John

alienloop
2015-07-10, 12:38
You just have to let it be, and wait.
My last scan, I had to wait about 30 min, before the "not responding" was gone.
It fixed the problems and was responding after 30 min.
Just let it do the thing in background and do other things while you wait.

Try it and youll see ;-)

OldGit66
2015-07-13, 23:29
Hi alienloop,

I agree that you just have to let it be after pressing "fix selected" until it produces the green ticks. My point is that you must only do one left click as any other clicks (e.g. the MS double click) just upsets it and it then takes ages, if ever, to get to the green tick stage. I have tried this several times a double click spells doom.

John