PDA

View Full Version : I'm a neophyte, and stuck

ccnucker
2005-12-01, 23:29
Hi, hope someone can help me. My old clunker needed to be replaced, and I got a Compaq flatscreen. Within two weeks, it stopped connecting me to any websites, at all. I can get connected (I'm dial-up), but after that, nothing. My ISP, srt.com, guy suggested Spybot, and that's the first I'd heard of it. I set up my old thing in the dining room, and left the Compaq set up in the office. SOOooo, I downloaded and ran Spybot on the old one, and tried to copy all the files onto a cd. Looked like it worked, so I took it over to the new one. It booted up ok, but won't run w/o updates, and I get "Error msg about scoket error 11004" and nothing further. What do I do now?
Thanks.
CC

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-02, 00:58
You must authorize SpybotSD.exe to access the internet through your firewall in order to update.

ccnucker
2005-12-02, 01:09
How? I operate Windows XP, SP2

md usa spybot fan
2005-12-02, 05:50
If you don't have a firewall other than the Windows Firewall (XP SP2):
Understanding Windows Firewall
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfexceptions.mspx

Also Windows help > Networking and the Web > Windows Firewall > Getting Started.

ccnucker
2005-12-03, 01:57
Thank you so much...I'm back on my new computer, and managing to keep Spybot running properly now! You're great.
CC

Fred99
2005-12-07, 21:45
Hi CC,
I would call compac and there support person will walk you through the problem. I am not familiar with that particular computer but they should support a new computer for sure. Good luck Fred