PDA

View Full Version : run Spybot+AV and Norton 360 at the same time?

urgetoo
2014-11-15, 15:32
Pardon my ignorance, but I always believed that you cannot run TWO antivirus programs on the SAME computer.. because of conflicts.

Please educate me. Am I correct?

But, can I run these two together on my laptop? Why is that?

tashi
2014-11-15, 18:43
Hello urgetoo,

A laptop is the same as a desktop, still a computer. :)

Rule of thumb is one firewall and one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

Having more than one resident can cause performance problems and a serious system slowdown.

More is not always better. Usually one can have several anti spyware type programs installed without issue, although one may decide to choose one resident real time protection.

Best regards.

urgetoo
2014-11-20, 15:43
Is Spybot+AV a true antivirus program?

Should I not upgrade and use it, since Norton 360 is my primary antivirus program? (causing conflicts)

tashi
2014-11-20, 18:48
Hello urgetoo,

Is Spybot+AV a true antivirus program?

Should I not upgrade and use it, since Norton 360 is my primary antivirus program? (causing conflicts)

Not sure what you mean by "a true antivirus program"

Spybot +AV = antispyware and antivirus.

Only you can decide the software you install on your computer. :)

Rule of thumb is one firewall and one anti virus program resident to avoid conflicts, loss of program efficiency and system lock up due to both software products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

urgetoo
2014-11-22, 15:22
OR, does it work IN CONJUNCTION WITH other antivirus programs, like Kaspersky/Norton NAV/Webroot/Bitdefender, etc.

In other words, will there be a conflict if both are installed on the same computer?

tashi
2014-11-22, 18:41
Hello urgetoo,

I guess I'm not communicating: Is SPY+AV a standalone antivirus program?

Spybot +AV = antispyware and antivirus.

Spybot + AV is one software package which contains anti-spyware, anti-malware protection and an Anti-Virus with a Bitdefender engine. http://forums.spybot.info/images/smilies/smile.png

OR, does it work IN CONJUNCTION WITH other antivirus programs, like Kaspersky/Norton NAV/Webroot/Bitdefender, etc.
No.

In other words, will there be a conflict if both are installed on the same computer?

Yes, if one is speaking of installing more than one anti-virus program.

Hope that helps. :greeting:

anhoutwi
2015-05-17, 13:16
In addition: can the antivirus engine be canceled if you want to have a total system scan performed?